Do Canon FD lenses have an anti UV coating on their front element?

matt_t_butler

I understand that some 'modern' lenses for digital cameras have anti-UV coating on their front element.

Photographers exploring UV photography suggest 'old' lenses for film cameras may not have the UV coating

and are suitable for this application.

I have a good collection of FD glass and was wondering if any forum members could advise?

Matt B

• 2 months later...
I understand that some 'modern' lenses for digital cameras have anti-UV coating on their front element.

Photographers exploring UV photography suggest 'old' lenses for film cameras may not have the UV coating

and are suitable for this application.

I have a good collection of FD glass and was wondering if any forum members could advise?

Normal glass stops UV not all that far up.

There is a small range that people can't see, but gets through glass and films are sensitive to,

so the reason for UV filters. (Also, for lens protection.)

Skylight filters also stop UV (which makes funny sky colors for color film) and add

just a little warming.

-- glen

If you have an adapter for FD to EF (or whatever your digital setup is), as Laurence says, try it and let us know what you find out.

But you'll have to try more than one since coatings and sech-like varied greatly over time, even on ostensibly 'same' lenses.