Do any of those low dollar, gimbals work?

steven_p

Story telling mood/New toys, insomnia, yada, yada. (Curiosity stage is always the most fun.)

For the past several years I have been using an old series 3 aluminum Gitzo. From the best I could find, it's an Interpro Studex, Systematic with the giant wing nuts. It included a Cremaillere geared post but I mostly use a flat top plate with an Arca B1.

I recently started exploring longer lenses. I purchased a near pristine manual focus Nikkor, 500/P. Within minutes, the trees out back turned green & spoiled my view The old Gitzo performed almost OK, but.....? (Now, almost November 1, and everything is still 90% green.)

Long story short, I ordered a GT5542LS. Fed Ex left it out front on the stoop. When I picked up the box, (4' high, fishing rod box,) & it weighed next to nothing. First impression after opening, "That's a massive set of legs we have here," (with thoughts of a gimbal sooner or later.)

I broke out the scale & weighed both tripods.The GT5542LS weighed 2.5 ounces less than my old Aluminum Series 3. Very sturdy, "Happy Dance," time. My only concern; I sometimes have to grab a tripod leg to help stand up. I have some physical issues and I'm not getting any younger. I also prefer shooting landscapes waist level, child's view, sitting on bucket, log, etc.

Now back to the 3 Series. Cranked really tight, the legs wobble at the joints & the tubes flex a bit. This question will inspire more.....Where can I purchase replacement plastic/nylon bushings for the old dog?

Apologies for the long write/Thank You in advance.

You can order sets of bushings for the legs (and most other parts too) directly from your Manfrotto distributor. They're easy to replace, just remove the collar. The upper and lower bushings may be separate, but the kits com with 5 sets - once kit fits all.

Aluminum is very springy compared to CF. The issue is how quickly vibrations dampen out, and how sensitive it is to a light breeze. A Gitzo #3 Aluminum is too springy for anything longer than about 300 mm. CF is stiffer than the next size up in aluminum (and doesn't have those blasted ears on the top collar).

A gimbal head is only as good as its stiffness and smooth operation. A Wimberly costs about the same as a good ball head. I recommend the full version, not the "Sidekick" which clamps in an existing ball head. Really Right Stuff makes several gimbal heads, which are very expensive. However RRS gimbals can be adjusted to center the lens over the tripod.

The load rating of a Gitzo is related more to the strength and security of the new G-Loc collars. The bushing is tapered, jams in place, and holds even if the collar is loosened slightly. The bushing is attached to the collar, so turning it further pulls the bushing out of engagement.

I ask questions in "long form," somewhat like sharing a cup of coffee or a brew with another. I never weighed my Aluminum 3, until the CF 5's weight surprised me. I also didn't realize how springy the old was, till the new kid showed up.

The comparison above also explains why my CF, G1227 felt as sturdy as old # 3. Throw the geared column back on the aluminum, use it for studio stuff, the #2 CF for distance & use the big legs with big glass.

For $4.00 (thrift store,) I bought a yoga mat & bag, that looks like Jimi Hendrix's guitar strap. It wraps & fits the new one perfectly. (Pink & turquoise camouflage.)

Ed,

You have a history of providing great advise over a stretch of quite a few years.

"Long May You Click."

How stiff? A quick check is to mount a long lens then tap in the middle of one of the upper leg sections while looking through the viewfinder. See how much vibration occurs, and how quickly it dampens out. This is not an objective test, but gives you a way to compare tripods, and to estimate what odds you are up against when not indoors on a hard, flat floor.

I use an extra tall (79") Gitzo #3 CF tripod for video, which has the equivalent of a 580 mm lens. It's stiff enough for my purpose, and far lighter than a heavy, double-tube Manfrotto with a spreader. A #5 would have been better, but none are tall enough except the 6-section "Giant" model.

Really Right Stuff makes padded tripod cases that are easy to use and don't cost an arm and a leg. For professional service, I use Porta-Brace cases, which are heavy canvas with a metal frame, and are more convenient than an Anvil road case. You need to protect CF tripods from nicks and scratches, which can severely weaken them.

Thank you, Steven. I do my best, even if I get prickly at times.