Do actual Canon EOS employees monitor our posts?

j._d._mcgee

Such as when people give feedback about 10D problems and complaints

I wonder if anyone in quality control or ergonomic engineering or

the like at Canon may look over sites like these to see what users

are saying. Or do they only concern themselves with the e-mails

they may recieve and calls, etc?

EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL.

Two basic reasons come to mind. One, they'd have to pay (multiple people) to do nothing but surf 40 hours/week for (two) very questionable feedback. Most companies that do collect feedback like you're thinking about on their products do so under much more controlled circumstances using accepted scientific principles. Things like surveys, focus groups, and studies would yield a much better return on their investment (the cost of the research) versus various individuals just pulling up wild info at some vague place on the web. I'm sure the info they do get is more than enough to be statiscally significant.

This is not to say somebody from Canon may not have looked here from time to time. But I can't imagine a mature company like Canon doing so in an official capacity as a means of doing business.

Guys, your comments and speculation above aren't quite right.

If you've ever surfed the EOS forum at Rob Galbraith's site, you'd have seen that Canon USA's technical director often responds to forum questions.

That doesn't happen here on photo.net, which is a pity. Perhaps the conversation here is not to their liking!

I'm quite sure they are. If they actually "listen/take note" is another question.

It is a fair assumption that they got a ring of selected pros as a feedback/user loop, thus I highly doubt that any of us will come up with a revolutionary new features and/or complain that hasn't already been raised.

I work for an optics company (not as big as Canon or Nikon, but certainly not small either), and our product development people DO look at the major boards and newsgroups on the net for opinions about our products, feedback, and even new ideas. It's free feedback, you can't beat that.

-Paul