DK-76.

I saw a formula for a developer called DK-76 which is the basic D-76/ID-11 formula, except that the Borax is replaced

with an equal weight of Sodium Metaborate. Is this an official `Kodak` formula and what is it designed for over regular

D-76/ID-11 ? The DK-76b formula also published on the same website (below) is of no interest to me.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/dk76.php

In the 1940 version of the Kodak Formulas handbook, the advantage cited for replacing borax with Kodalk was a faster working developer. With a typical developing time in D-76 of 17 minutes in 1940, a faster developer would have been very appreciated. That was mostly with higher quantities of Kodalk than the DK-76 formula you linked to. (It took a lot more borax if you wanted to speed up D-76.)

With current films being much faster to develop, and a tendency towards lower contrast indexes, one generally doesn't need D-76 to be sped up very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith, if you lurk about in old book stores, you might see if you can find an old CRC Chemistry Handbook, they used to include formulae for developers. I think you may have to look for one from the 50's, but am pretty sure the price will be low enough to give you something of interest.

I have not mixed my own for a long time, but perhaps the alchemy will return. ;-)