DK-60A

margie_kelley

A student of mine said that she had purchased the film developer

"DK-60A" and wanted information regarding its use. I am not familiar with this developer and when I looked it up in what books I have available on the subject, Ancel Adams book, "The Negative" makes only the vaguest reference and no other books seem to mention it at all. If anyone knows the properties of this developer and can share, I would appreciate it very much.

<p>

Thanks,Margie

I have confirmed that this is a Kodak film developer, but there is

virtually no information about it on the web. I am at work now, but

if you will write to me at edbuffaloe@unblinkingeye.com I will

research this developer in my library at home.

Hi Margie! I see there's no answers yet on DK-60a, so here's some old

"Photo Lab Index" data: "(Kodak DK-60a) Kodalk Deep Tank or Machine

Developer for Roll Films, Film Packs, Sheet Films and Plates." For

developing, they said, "Develop about 7 minutes at 68 deg F in a tank

of fresh developer.".

<p>

The formula is (for 1 liter of final solution): Elon (same as metol, I

believe) = 2.5 gram, sodium sulfite = 50 grams, hydroquinone = 2.5

grams, Kodak Kodalk (sodium metaborate, I believe) = 20 grams, and

potassium bromide = 0.5 grams.

<p>

This formula is more similar to DK-50 than anything else I can find;

however, there are two differences. DK-50 has less sodium sulfite (at

30 grams) and only half the Kodalk.

<p>

Regarding properties, I have no experience, but am willing to make

some guesses. I doubt that the sulfite level is high enough to have a

significant solvent effect. The doubled Kodalk should raise the pH,

possibly enough to get the hydroquinone working. So I would guess

that it is basically a little more activity and contrast than DK-50.

<p>

The scarcity of information seems to indicate it might not be

available anymore; I wonder where she got it and if it's even worth

experimenting with?

• 20 years later...

I love Kodak DK-60A. My father would use it with his Super Panchro Press Type B 4X5 sheet films. I use it as an alternative to the DK-50 film developer.

Since it has more Sodium Metaborate (Kodalk aka Kodak Balanced Alkali) and more Sodium Sulfite, I get much finer grain and a wide array of continuous tones of every shade of grey, black and white. I dilute the DK-60A 1:3 and follow all of the development times recommended for D-76 Stock.

As with the DK-50, the diluted developer can be reused and replinished. If you choose to replinish the DK-60A, you must dilute the replinisher 1:3 as well. Without replinishment, a quart of the diluted DK-60A will process 9 rolls of film, increasing the development times by 30 seconds after every third film processed.

In my honest opinion, Kodak NEVER should have discontinued this developer as it outperforms their other current developers on their market.

Once you try out what I've experinented and discovered, you will NOT be disappointed and will crave for more DK-60A. At least Kodak has a published formula for the DK-60A, whereas you can mix the formula yourself and it's way better than the DK-50. The slightly higher Sulfite and Alkali content actually gives a much finer grain, full tonal range, full emulsion speed and excellent shadow detail and is a developer that is GREATLY UNDERESTIMATED. I still use DK-60A as my PRIMARY film developer.

This developer ALSO removes the pink antihalation dyes that Kodak used in their T-max films, 120 & 220 films, sheet films and ALL Fuji Neopan films, leaving extremely clean and clear negatives and is magnificent with expired films.

Try out my findings and see for yourself! Share your results! Once I'm able to pay for my subscription, I'll show you mine.

I hope that I've been a big help to someone that is trying to figure out on how to use this developer. And by the way, Ansco Permadol is their alternative to Kodak's DK-60A as their Isodol is their alternative to Kodak's DK-50 and should be treated the same way.