DIY Mount Cutting

milbourn

I am in the UK and investigating doing my own mount cutting for an exhibition

of about 100 photos. This raises a nuumber of questions, such as is it worth

doing if it is posible to get pre-cut mounts cheap enough on the internet, is

so where? If I go into the mounting operation how much would I need to spend on

tools and what would people recommend? Any ideas please?

Another option is to mount the canvas prints in some way, e.g. on hardbouard,

but this seems to involve losing a lot of the picture.

I have a Logan Intermediate Mat Cutter, model 450, purchased about 6 months back. It's a bit over $200 canadian. Does a good job, can handle full mat sheets, cuts bevel or 90 degree. There are some extra cutting tools available for double cuts. There's one model more expensive: the build is a little better and there's an additional mat guide, but I don't see any problems or shortcomings with my model.

Still I'd consider pre-cut purchase as well, if the price is close. Depends on your needs. Having your own mat cutter is obviously more versatile and immediate.

A Logan Framers Edge 650 will pay for itself by using it to cut the first 100 mats you need for the show. Getting mats pre-cut is much more expensive. Further, if the images being shown are the same size, cutting the matts can be done fairly quickly. The trick to cutting mats well is to use a new blade every other mat. Buy a decent matt cutter. The Logan 650 will let you cut 32x40 boards into 16x20 boards at an even greater saving. Its a NO Brainer. Like I said , it will pay for itself in money saved doing the first 100 mats.