DIY 903 SWC and using large format lens with shutter

mustafa_umut_sarac

I am hoping to make my Hasselblad SWC 903 Clone and trying to find 40mm medium format cheap lens with shutter inside. I think an old Ektar, Rodenstock , Schneider or Wollensak or Dagor would be available and cheaper.

But large format lenses tend to cover 4x5 or larger. My main use will be the crop 6x6cms from the frame. Do I need ultra wide angle large format lens or how I can solve the puzzle ?

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

The least expensive way to get SWC functionality is to find a 38/4.5 Biogon ex-aerial camera, have it remounted in a Copal #0, and use it on a Century Graphic. I've done this. Your many posts on APUG in which you claim poverty make me doubt that you can afford to do this. Ex-aerial camera 38/4.5 Biogons are uncommon as well as expensive.

Newer lenses with focal lengths around 40 mm that cover at least 2x3 (6x9 in metric) such as the 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and 38/4.5 Super Angulon XL cost even more. To find out which lenses might do for you, see short lenses for 2x3.xlsx

There's no puzzle. A wide angle camera needs a wide angle lens. End of discussion. On 6x6 a 38 Biogon covers a bit over 90 degrees. 90 degree lenses are expensive.

A Mamiya RB67 with 50mm lens on 6x7 will deliver a perspective similar to the 38mm on 6x6. No DIY required and both use roll film. Did I miss something in the original post? Are you starting from a base camera, and want to change its functionality?

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

All Mamiya RB67 lenses have shutters included. You need a way to cock and fire the lens. This may be a challenge. Large format lenses are easier in this respect.

Is buying an RB67 body out of the question for you? It would probably cost something around US $100, if purchased in the US.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

A Mamiya RB67 with 50mm lens on 6x7 will deliver a perspective similar to the 38mm on 6x6. No DIY required and both use roll film. Did I miss something in the original post? Are you starting from a base camera, and want to change its functionality?

84 degrees < 93 degrees. There's a difference.