Diving in

amy cupp

Okay so I got a call last night at 830 from a lady who wants me to do her

wedding tonight!!!!! Since I was free I said yes. She completely understands

that I am in no way a professional and am just trying to get experience. In

return, she gets free pictures. This will be a low key event and not

a "typical" wedding, per the bride. She is wearing a dress and him in a suit

and their 7, yes 7 kids, in khakis. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to try.

It will be in Townsend. Those of you not familiar with this area, that is a few

miles from the National Park and a beautiful area. They are getting married at

a log cabin tonight at 7pm. Since I could not get off work, I am heading up

right afterwards and will be a there a few hours early. Unfotunately, this does

not give me time to go get the flash I need from Wolf and learn how to use it.

(I had planned on buying it next week anyway along with the 50mm that I need)

So if the lighting sucks, I will have to go non digital and use my Minolta as a

backup. I plan on taking them in RAW and even if the lighting sucks taking a

digital pic anyway and use Minolta as needed as I have learned that bad

lighting can somewhat be compensated for. Anyway, I have a busy weekend with 2

other sessions spread out Sat-Sun and will post the goods on here in the next

few days. I am a nervous wreck but confident. Outdoors at 7pm should be good

lighting tonight. We will see. Any last minute suggestions such as where in the

world do you normally stand during the ceremony to be out of the way but get

the good shots?

You need to tell us your lenses but I am guessing they are not 2.8. Your photos are good on photo net I think you will be ok just pay close attention to the lighting. Depending on your lenses the layout and lighting is where you stand during the ceremony. I snipe further away to be less intrusive with a 70-200 lens and then I am ready with a wider angle when they are exiting. Not being a real formal wedding you should have lots of freedom.

I have a Tamron 70-300 for my Minolta but would prefer using my D50 kit lense and go digital just to have more flexibility. I am not the type of person who looks at the shot on the pic right after I take it, but I like to know if there is a doubt I can look down and take a quick peek or just take another shot and not worry about really overshooting. I plan on giving them an album of about 100 pictures.

A couple thoughts...

1. Don't change your shooting style at all just because you have a client. Just work the way you're used to.

2. Bring tons of memory and shoot tons of pictures. I know you said you don't want to overshoot, but err on the side of extra.

3. Don't be nervous... a client who gives 22.5 hours of notice obviously doesn't have high expectations for her photos. So, do your thing and don't make yourself crazy.

4. If the D50 has a built-in flash, use it in a pinch and SPARINGLY -- only if you need a safety shot.

I don't care what the expectations are, the OJT approach is beyond irresponsible.

Don't mean to be harsh but you would learn SO MUCH working under a pro, taking classes...

FWIW...Use a tripod.

When you get the flash (a camera flip style bracket is a nice investment as well) begin shooting in apeture priority mode.

By reading the histogram and shooting 1/125 outdoors and 1/60 indoors, you can compensate +/- with the the flash and it's really effective and efficient..

Irresponsible???? Okay, so lets say you are a beginning photographer hobbyist and you get a call from someone to do their wedding, which is really low, low key. They do not have anyone to take pictures, not even and "uncle Bob" and they dont care that you have never done one before. This couple had originally thought they would not have a photographer and did not really care. Would you, in my position, had of declined them and said" No I think it would be irresponsible"? I understand your point, but irresponsible it is not. Thanks for your tips though. I would really love to assist, but I have offered this to many photographers and no luck. I would also love to take classes, but I have a full time job, 2 kids, etc and cannot fit in a class on top of that since I would have to commute so far.