Distagon 18mm Focusing Problem (?)

<p>I have been offered a Carl Zeiss Distagon 18mm lens in C/Y mount in what look like as impeccable conditions as regards both the glass and the barrel. I currently don`t own a Contax-series SLR (I will get one if I decide to buy this lens), and so I cannot test the Distagon on-camera.<br>

It shows a curious behaviour as regards focusing: the ring turns smoothly, but the lens` rear element does not move at all in response. It just stays where it is, irrespective of the ring being turned in either direction.<br>

Is this a sign of something being seriously amiss, or is it normal and focusing takes place some other waqy (e.g., by magic)?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>With a C/Y mount there is plenty of cheap hardware out there. The FXD is a really fine performer but needs a battery as do all the ContaX bodies but one very expensive (S2). The Yasica bodies are a real bargain. Some don't require batteries at all or only for the meter. The FX2 is a favorite. The FX3 also, Note the FX3 "Super" model with a 2000th manual shutter. Happy Hunting.. please post results! </p>