Dissapointed - (bad FS/WTB experience)

andrew1

A few weeks ago, I posted a WTB ad here for an item I want to pick up, a rewind crank

for an M3. I got a few responses, and made a deal with a forum contributor, a person

whose name I have seen here often enough in the years I have read this forum. This

person's feedback in the neighbor to neighbor section of the PN classified ads was all

positive, so I felt good about the situation. I have bought and sold equipment here a

few times, and it's always been a square deal for both parties, so I felt

comfortable.<p> But this time was different. I promptly sent a money order for the

item, and

have heard nothing since. No email letting me know it had been recieved; no

package, and no reply to three emails I have sent

to this person since. In the past two days I have seen more posts here from this

person, so

I know there was no catastophic accident or other similar reason why they aren't

answering my emails. This morning I went to the post office with the stub from the

money order, and they told me it had been cashed in. So I guess I've been ripped off.

I guess I should not be surprised that I got ripped off trying to buy something over

the net. But I am dissapointed that a regular here would do this.<p>I just wanted to

let you all know this happened, and see if anyone has had a similar experience here,

and see if anyone had any bright ideas about what I might do. Anyway, thanks for

looking, and take care all.

That's horrible! There's always a degree of trust in these transactions & it's intolerable when this trust has been broken. Hopefully, he will see this post & contact you. If he doesn't, post his name & let the community deal with it. I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

Bill

Thanks Vivek- I agree, but I wanted to let folks here know, as a reminder to us all,

and to give the person one more chance to say or do something. I'm going to post

something in the neighbor section, too, if this approach also gets no response.

The feedback belongs in the neighbor-to-neighbor section, but your story belongs here.

And I agree that if you do not hear back from the person, it's appropriate to go public.

I had a samilar experience as you. I bought an M2 from a long-time member of this forum

whose postings made me believe he was a respectable person. He described the camera as

"mint-," and it arrived with a ding. Nothing horrible, but a ding that made the camere NOT

mint-. Luckily, I my money was returned, but not before I had to pay shipping both ways.

I can`t imagine someone would bother to try a rip off for the value of a rewind crank.

Perhaps the wrong person cashed it. Seller can`t find the item. It was lost on the way to you.

But you are owed at least an Email telling you when it will ship or a tracking number.

Sometimes e mails from PN people go into the bulk mail by error. Check there.

Andrew, I think I know how bad it feels to feel the way you do and hope the person shows up.That is the least he can do I think,it's terrible when people decide not to keep communicating.Don't loose trust,these things happen but so many good actions happen too.The neighbor section is very interesting but some people think they have the right to judge before thinking about their own responsability which happened to me...and that is terrible too I can tell you!

Anyway you have done all you can so your reaction there would be normal I think.Anyway keep up!

This may not be the case here but I have about 4 email accounts, different email for different reasons (friends, work, spam, photo stuffs etc...) and I often don't check all of them all the time. There even were times when forum members here contacted me without my knowing for a couple weeks. Some people aren't hooked to the net 24/7...

Having say that, I too believe you should tell your story if this situation don't get resolved by the weekend.

If you used the US Postal Service, you can initiate a mail fraud investigation. I always send

my money orders 'return receipt requested' so I have the seller's signature and fingerprints,

in order to facilitate such actions.

The one time I really got screwed, I e-mailed the guy and told him he had 48 hours to

overnight me the item or a refund, or I would be initiating a mail fraud investigation. I got a

check for what I sent him plus some stamps to cover my postage of the check the next day.

Andrew, sorry to hear about your situation, hope it works out.

Juan, I had a very similar experience. The item was not as described and less than expected but when I asked to return it less shipping charges and the person absolutely refused. You expect a certain level of business protocol but some people just don't get it.

You folks have some good suggestions here, and I had tried many of them before-

checking my junk mail in-box, etc. To put a happy end to the story, the person in

question has now

contacted me, apologised, explained the situation, and is now being very gracious

about making

the situation right. <p> One confession on my part- I fibbed about the P.O.

reporting the money order cashed, in hopes that this point in the post might help

spur the person to contact me or something. Anyway, all's well that ends well, and I

will post a follow-up tomorrow. Thanks all for your concern for our community!

Bill, I'm not ranting; nor am I trying to humiliate anyone. Rather, I was trying to get results (and it seems I have, but more on that tomorrow), and maybe remind us that if we are going to succeed as a community- even an online one- we need to be able to trust each other. Anyway, as I said, I will post more tomorrow.

Andrew you said both . . .

"One confession on my part- I fibbed about the P.O. reporting the money order cashed,"- "we need to be able to trust each other."

You have admitted to not telling the truth, and then telling the rest of us that we should trust each other. Isn't that rather a contradiction?

I do not believe that one lie or whatever you care to call it, makes the first problem better. Perhaps you might think about that before you tell the rest of us what we should do.

<i>"... You have admitted to not telling the truth, and then telling the rest of us that we should trust each other. Isn't that rather a contradiction? I do not believe that one lie or whatever you care to call it, makes the first problem better. Perhaps you might think about that before you tell the rest of us what we should do. ..."</i>

<p>When a lie is used to protect the innocent, or for a greater good, it ceases to be a lie. This logic applies toother areas. For example, it is a sin to kill, but to protect lives one has to sometimes kill. Then it is not a sin any more.

<p>While hanging Andrew D., please don't forget that he was enough of a gentleman to not reveal the name of the seller who caused him all the angst.

<p>Oh the humanity!