Disney World kit

jim_simon6

Opinions, please.

Going to Disney (Florida) with the family in October, haven't been

since I was a kid. Going to take almost everything (photographically)

that I own, probably. So far that includes Canon A2e, 20d, 18-55efs,

28-105, 85/1.8, 50/2.5 macro, 100-300/4.5-5.6, and 300/4.

Planning on a lightweight kit for in the park. Probably going to pick

up a sling bag, either Lowepro or Tamrac. Also, while the 18-55 is a

competent enough lens, I just don't use it very often, haven't really

warmed up to it I guess. I've been trying to decide what's more

useful to me (in general and more specifically for this trip) - either

ultrawide like Canon 10-22, Tokina 12-24 or wide like Canon 17-40 or

Tamron 17-35.

I'm kind of leaning towards something like 12-24 plus 50 macro plus 85

for lightweight kit inside the park (with 20d) or 17-35/40 plus 85 or

12-24 plus 28-105. Anyway, does anything in Disney really scream for

ultrawide - of course, if I get the 17-40 I could always slap it on

the A2e for the same effect, but I know that most of the time I'll be

carrying the digital.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated as always.

Jim

Thanks, Kris.

We are staying at the campground in our travel trailer, so I'll just throw everything in my Lowepro Minitrekker and probably that's where most of it will stay;-) I will try to sneak away to do some bird photography on my own while we're there.

Oh, by the way, how is the African Safari thing - worth taking a camera or a waste of time?

Thanks again, Jim

When I've gone to Disney, I start with the idea that I'm taking snapshots for the memories. It's an understatement to say that the place has already been photographed, and it's unlikely that I'll be able to take pictures that are that much better than those that already exist. For me, the primary objective isn't photography, it's to enjoy the day with the family and take home some memories. My primary photo target is the other people I'm travelling with, and I want to capture them in the Disney surroundings.

<p>

With that rationale, it's a lightweight kit for me, tending toward moderate wideangle. I've done Disney with nothing but an Olympus Stylus Epic P&S and its fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens. Because of its small size and water resistance, that's an almost perfect camera for the park. At various times, I've also done Disney with an SLR and small zoom, an SLR and a fixed 24mm lens, and a digital camera (only one camera per trip, though).

<p>

A wider angle can be handy to capture your companions who are in the same vehicle as you during the rides.

<p>

Remember the flash prohibitions in the dark attractions, of course.

I think my biggest problem was me constantly worrying about the equipment getting damaged, so I just take a pocket camera now.

The safara is well worth taking a good camera though! Since you are obviously going to animal kingdom, you will find multiple reasons for your good setups.

Jim,

I recommend carrying just the 20D and and the 28-105. If the 20D has the 1.6 multiplication factor as my 10D then you will be carrying a 45-168 lens. That should do it for nearly all your photo needs. I would suppose you're going to be at Disney World more than one day, so just carry that camera and that lens. If you think that combo isn't enough, then go from there to decide what to carry for the following days.

I live one county over from Disney World and I have been going there ever since it opened. One of the *magical* things about it is it's a photographer's paradise.

You're going to take so many pictures that you should be thinking about a way to download the memory card each night; maybe the hard drive of a lap top.

I don't know where you are coming in from, but I recommend carrying a high-rated sunscreen and using it liberally and often. Drink water often, too, it's still pretty warm here in October.

Have a great time!

Roger

Jim:

Bring all your stuff for your side shooting.

When you go to Disney - simply bring disposable/waterproof cameras for the whole family - fits in your pocket - have some fun & usually the kids get some good shots. Plus you can use them while on certain rides.

If anything if you insist on a "good camera" then get a small digital & a small pelican waterproof case for it.

I live in Sarasota -we go to Busch Gardens & after a few trips - trust me - I feel like I'm bringing my LF equipment to bring anything more than a simple kit.

By all means - if you have a mother-in-law etc. that's always going to be standing by - bring a small bag.

Lastly - If you want a new lens & wish to claim the need for it by virtue of this trip - order it the day before you leave & wonder why it's not there yet - then you will get points for being so calm about it all. :)

Have a great time & trust me on the disposable aspect.

I couldn't resist responding, say "hi" to Mickey for me.

Since you're going to be staying in your travel trailer (assuming that it is reasonably secure) bring everything and figure it out after you get there.

For what it's worth, I love my 17-40.

If I were going for more than one day (which is rare; I can only take so much of a theme park), I'd make one a walking/photographing day with my dSLR, and one a ride day and only take along a small digicam (like my wife's Canon S400), if anything at all.

From your kit, I'd take the 20D + 28-105. I'd be tempted to take the 50 macro as well, since it's so small, but I doubt it'd get much use, and the lens-changing hassle in this environment (while your family waits on you) really isn't worth it.

I've never been to Disneyworld, but Universal Studios' Orlando theme park has great lockers near the more "adventurous" rides, so you can lock up your (reasonably-sized) kit while riding them.

Have fun!

From the rank amateur gallery, I'd leave it all at home and pick up an ultra-zoom digicam (you can always use one more camera). I took an Olympus c750 on a 10 day So. California trip a couple of years ago, and can't think of a single shot I missed. Have fun, whatever you do.

Bill

I gone several times in the past couple of years with just a Stylus Epic. I agree with others that a big load of gear walking through the parks will be a real pain. If shooting digital--a compact should suit the purpose or an dslr with a single, moderate wide angle lens. Also go for something water resistant (camera and carrying case).

Rick