Disney Camera Choice

joe_nash1

Hello all, I just spent the last hour reviewing to see if there was a similar

thread. But I am at a conundrum.

I have 3 SLR cameras and 1 P&S-

1)-Canon AE-1 Program(which was what I took to Disney when I first got it in

1983!)

2)-Canon T90

3)-two Canon AF35mm p&s(these little buggers really take nice pictures)

4)-Canon 40d DSLR w/ 17-85mm IS, 50mm f1.8, and a tamron 55-200mm

Here is the setup, going to Disney/Epcot/Seaworld in October of this year. It

will be my Dad, my Wife, and 3 kids 6,8, and 10. I know this trip is all about

the kids, but I would like to take some nice pics of them and us having fun and

also the sites. All the above cameras obviously take wonderful pictures, even

the AF35's. For the 35mm stuff, I have lots of Kodak 400uc film, and great

Canon FD lenses.

Should I leave the 40d at home, and just bring the T90 with a 50mm f/1.4 and a

35-105mm f/3.5 zoom, and one of the AF35s for quick shots?

I recently looked at Nikon/Canon/Sony 100-200 dollar digital P&S's, and were

quite dissapointed on how slow they are to take an image, and flash lag.

Thanks in advance.

Any SLR will slow you down at an amusement park. A lot of the rides you probably are not going to be able to take any kind of real sized camera bag with you. I would personally take the T90 with a 28mm and 50mm lens and call it a day, maybe a canon range finder to slip in a pocket.

I've done this many times at Disney and other amusement parks with the family and have come to the conclusion that the only way to go is with a P&S that fits in my pocket. The real subject to shoot at these places is your kids having fun, or snapshots to "remember the day by," and that doesn't require much more than a P&S. The parks are all private property and without property releases plus model releases from people in the pictures it's not like you're going to be shooting anything you can sell anyhow. Have fun with your family and keep it simple as far as pix go.

I've always taken an SLR. It is a burden, but I have appreciated the flexibility I get with an SLR. There seem to be a few *must shots* on our Disney trips; daughter with characters (a good flash is a must because much of this is indoors), large stage shots, child on ride, and night shots when they close the park. With the characters they always have professional photographers (you just use a visitor photo card and can get what you want), but they aren't inexpensive.

If I had any common sense, I'd bring a good P&S too. 12 hours of walking around with an SLR and a tired kid makes for a rough day.

Just take the 40D and a wide angle lens (EF 20mm f/2.8 USM or the stabilized EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit zoom). Snap away and take as many pictures as you can, a 35mm camera will slow you down much more and you cannot review the images to see if anything went wrong.

I would actually pick #4 (DSLR + WA and tele zooms) AND one of the P&S (+film) as a backup. Keep the P&S with you at all times -- pocket, fanny pack or whatever.

Would there be rides that you would go on (and where you cannot take your DSLR), that your dad or your wife would not go on? if so, then leave the DSLR with them. If they both want to ride, and IF you cannot bring along the DSLR on the ride, then you'd just have to settle on being a spectator -- then whip out the tele zoom and snap away.

Seaworld and the animal portions of the Florida resorts may make a longer lens useful but wide angles will likely be your dominant choices.

Disney has no problems with you using your cameras to shoot the characters, the photographers they have will even take pictures using your camera for you - of course that does depend on them having time between guests while shooting for the company. And you will be dealing with the crowds, etc. as well.

What it comes down to is getting the right balance for you and your family. If you haven't been for a long time, the desire to document the fun needs to be checked with the need for you (and them) to have fun. That may mean minimal photo taking and minimal gear. Lots of walking and carrying. Architectural and character detail and atmosphere abound. Nights could include interesting lighting and fireworks shows. Generally flash is not allowed inside the rides but some of the shows and rides are light enough that the 50/1.8 or other even moderately fast lenses with higher iso's can work. Other rides can be too fast, too turbulent or too wet for cameras to be used or used safely. Locals, like off-duty employees and/or pass holders can get more engaged in picture taking as they have more experience and have scouted out the best locations and opportunities. However, employees can often be very good about helping you find the right spots to wait for parades, fireworks, etc., as they know the spots and know when/where barricades get placed, etc.

I tend to think your #4 is the best choice and you might never put the long lens on. A handy digital P&S can be great for some of the others to use as well. The 35mm P&Ss aren't bad, but the film changes and lack of feedback is what we dealt with for years.

On my last trip to WDW I had very good luck with an Olympus C5050 P&S and a beanbag "The Pod" for support. I carried both in a fanny pack that I could rotate around to the front when riding a ride.

The Pod allowed me to shoot fireworks over the castle and other fun night shots by placing the camera on the nearest handrail, garbage can, or Dumbo statue. Also worked great with the self-timer for full family shots.

I had some zoom flexibility, a built-in flash, and portability. I don't think I'd ever try to carry and SLR with that many family members along.

I did get the luxury of one morning that the rest of the family didn't want to get up for early opening hours at the Magic Kingdom, so I went by myself. Thinking only about photography and having very light crowds to deal with immediately after opening is probably my favorite memory of the trip (don't tell my family!).

Just got back from Disney myself. I would recommend something you can fit in your pocket - I took an Olympus Stylus Epic and 400UC film. So, I would recommend 1 (not both!) of your 35mm PS cams, loaded with 400UC. I was amazed how many great shots I got - great camera and film I guess. Anyways, an SLR is too bulky and akward - it will be a distraction and annoyance to you and your family. For SLR type shots, they have many roving Disney Photographers who will 1)take a picture with your camera, and 2) take a picture with theirs (DSLR) and give you a photo card for getting them online later. I would suggest having them take lots of the shots, then you can order the CD (with unlimited # of their shots) for around $100. Especially good are the night portraits with the Majic Kingdom Castle in the background.

If you will be at Disney many days, and can arrange for a "photography Dads night out" where you can just focus on photography, by all means, take the dslr. Just dont lug it around and ruin it for everyone else the rest of the trip;)

Thank you all for your gracious advice! I am thinking on bringing my AE-1 Program with a tokina ATX 28-80mm zoom. This camera with this compact zoom is a very small package in its self. And also one of the P&S for a backup. The 400UC is spectacular film that can be scanned well, plus I have about 20 rolls of the stuff. They are 36exp rolls which will allow plenty of pics between shots.

Why not bring the 40D? The size is larger than the ae-1 with the zoom, and I really want to have fun with my kids and family, then worry about a almost $2k camera/lens bouncing around. If the AE-1 P gets stolen, damaged, or lost, I have another to replace it here at home.

Again, thank you all so much!