Discussion concerning 'revived' threads in 'No Words' forum

Decided to start this, in order to avoid having issues concerning 'No Words'.

I see what you say, Ken, but my take on it is that it gives me an opportunity to see the work of others which I may have missed in the past, to re-evaluate those images that I have seen before, and (as today) to add images of my own which, in my view, fit the spirit of the thread.

The date of commencement is, after all, clearly visible, and as observers of details, it behooves us to check before posting :);)

Just my 2/6d worth

Ken’s photo is lovely and I am glad the thread was resurrected.

Personally, I think the threat (and possible consequence) of posting twice in a NW is a tad over emphasised

I agree about the photo - the point I was trying to put across is that a discussion has developed regarding the resurrection (or revival, if you prefer) of older threads, and I felt it should not be continued in the 'No Words' forum, since it is not in the spirit of the forum itself :

'This is a "No Words" forum, essentially an on-going, non-verbal discussion of specific member supplied themes.' - 'A sentence or two regarding how you made the photo, the technique, or about the subject is permitted, however discussions and comments about the submissions are not allowed in this forum.'

Hope all my readers (bless you both) don't object to being reminded of this ! :):)

Tony

• Like 1

Suggest you direct your feedback to the forum Moderator, WJT. I have no great fondness for zombie threads, but speaking just for myself, am more favorably disposed to those in No Words than elsewhere. It does appear that the avatar which indicates past participation drops off some of the older No Words threads making it easy to inadvertently add an additional image.
  • Like 1

Don't think many of us object to the 'Zombie Threads' - all I was trying to do was ensure that the discussion (if such it be) was conducted away from the No Words forum. I don't feel it is something that WJT need worry about - you and he may feel differently.
  • Like 1

Another suggestion would be that any previous threads more than 1 year old are not eligible for reincarnation, so removing any confusion. These "old" threads are not really in the true spirit of the NW forum. Just my suggestion, hope no one is offended.

Not in the true spirit of the No Words forum? I’m not offended in the least. Just curious to know how exactly resurrecting an older thread violates this spirit?

I actually think it’s grand to have the opportunity to look back at some of the long-gone PN submissions. There are many gems from a decade or more ago, before many were following No Words, and it’s nice to bring them forward and be able to become part of those threads.

Of course, no one is forced to participate in every thread, so one can always just look at the original date and if it violates a personally-developed photographic spirit, it needn’t be bothered with.

I’d say the quality of work and creativity of interpretation from years ago is inspiring and well worth taking a look at, or a second look at.

I hope the spirit of No Words isn’t more about, in a few obvious cases, a quid pro quo approach to “likes” reciprocation than it is about sharing photos in interesting themed contexts.

The way I deal with concern about posting twice is to quickly browse through a revived thread to see if I’ve already posted. On threads where I prefer not to be influenced by others’ responses, I choose my own photo, then browse, then post. I think you can also do a quick search for your name. This extra few seconds may seem tedious in an Internet age where throwing up photos and moving on as quickly as possible seems de rigueur but I’m in favor of anything that helps me slow down just a bit to smell the roses.

• Like 4
There’s always something new under the sun.

'Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice'

No mystery - words in the No Words forum usually vanish. The discussion is here in any case.

Note: I actually thought of transferring / copying the posts here - got sidetracked and they were gone.

Edited by Sandy Vongries

Late to this discussion .... Since I am one or (maybe the one) resurrecting old threads, I figured I would say something. I just joined this site a month ago so every thread is new to me. I like seeing what people have spent time posting. It also give me a chance to see who is on this site. When I see photos I really like (or really dont like) I take the time to look at the posters portfolio and posts... That way I see who I am sitting with in my cyber studio/lecture hall with..... Ive been shooting for 30 years and have a lot of photos to share. I could start 20 new threads every day. But that is not what it is about for me. I see a photo I want to share- I search for a suitable theme and if I like the photos in the found thread(s) then I post my photo. For me the older the thread the better, in my mind, it will be new to others as well. i.e. if a thread is from 2015 , how many people joined since 2015 and never saw that thread before. And if you did see it four years ago, it shouldn't be painful to see it again. (I dont pick threads that contain substandard , non interesting photos... Actually I have not found any completely substandard threads, showing the great aptitude of the folks on this forum .

Im not seeking "likes" Im just opening up my images for people to see and enjoying seeing what others have graciously decided to share with us.

• Like 5

I'd prefer to see new threads, or at least to have the starting date of the OP shown in larger or bolder type.

The little greyed out dates are easy to overlook.

I generally don't resurrect my own posts, but here are some links for some not so freshly dead threads:rolleyes:

Cameras in Movies part n+3: Rear Window

Canon T90 - Twilight, harbinger, and herald - Photo.net Canon FD Forum

and so on and so on.

Aren't creatures who feed on dead flesh, ghouls?

Ghoul-Tales.jpg.7e4d9a436ca7dcd3facd546110a8b2da.jpg

:D

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

What’s funny about this is that a little while back one of the regular No Words posters added a signature line to all his photos that said something along the lines of “I don’t give likes to photos that are more than two years old.” How odd that he would think the rest of us would care. Not to mention that it would have disqualified many of JDM’s better photos from his highness’s likes. Now it’s JDM preferring threads, as opposed to photos, that aren’t over a certain age. Well, I say now that we’re all aware that the origin date is in gray, we can train our eyes to look for it and slow down our movements enough to be able to. Don’t look at threads you deem too old and let Wade have fun with his No Words explorations. Edited by The Shadow
  • Like 1
There’s always something new under the sun.

All the rules that there are for No Words are posted on the forum page - nothing is said about resurrecting threads. Some like the old threads, others do not - simply a matter of checking the date of the post. Participate where you care to.

It does appear, outside of No Words, technical issues get more feedback when the reanimator starts new thread instead of adding to an old one.

In 30 years I have never known anyone to think images get "stale " If its boring now it was probably boring to begin with. So I wonder if the same people who dont like old photos have any hanging on their walls at home.... If they do , do they replace them once a year to keep them fresh? In that case maybe I should go back to all of the social media images that I have ever liked and unlike the ones more then a year old... Or maybe my likes are stale now too? :confused:

"I quite admire people who resurrect old threads. It must take a great deal of self confidence to do so and, tbh, the new photos have been well worth it." Ludmila

Don't really get that. Seems a cope out. Starting a new thread seems more of a challenge at least to my mind.

You remind me of a another very good photographer, Ludmilla. Just can't think why;) He had a very pretty girlfriend he posted photos of who looked somewhat like you.

Coincides. Suppose so.

• Like 1

I saw the kites thread, posted a picture to it and then was a little disappointed to realize it was an old one. When it comes down to it, I don't really have an objection to resurrecting threads. There are some awesome pictures in them.

To me though the fun of "No Words" is the visual conversation with other members. I enjoy a great picture, but I also enjoy imagining what the thought process was that went into other people's selections, - how their choice relates to the title of the thread and the other pictures that were posted, - how those selections might be influenced by current events or what's currently going on in their lives. I like it when people take some liberty with the title. But I do realize that the pictures aren't necessarily recent.

I'm sure other people do this too, - I try to put some thought into the titles so that the "conversation" will hopefully go somewhere besides the obvious. For example, I had a picture of icicles I wanted to post. I could have just titled the thread "Icicles" but I thought that was a little limiting so I named it "Pointy" instead. And people posted all kinds of pointy things that weren't even remotely related to icicles. I loved it!

• Like 1

I'm quite happy that an action prompted this discussion because I just got to see a bunch of really nice photos, I guess I don't see the topics in the no-words forum as being based on chronology; instead more as a continuum. If someone who hasn't posted to it before decided to and it ignites another round of sharing seems ok to me.
  • Like 2

I'm not in the habit of looking at dates for posts... then again, nor do I search back pages of threads looking for things to dredge up. BUT looking at images while ignoring the dates of the post keeps it enjoyable. I don't need too much information to enjoy some nice photographs, and could care less if someone's pulling threads out of the distant past- I'm not likely to notice anyway! I have noticed that there seems to be some small amount of similarity between threads named closely to one another. Hadn't given it any real thought however, and that just means more of peoples' work to see!

I don't really see what the problem is.

Then again, I'm also new here- so wouldn't have to relive anything that's already been around the block.

• Like 2

In the several years I've been a member I've seen both cases: First, where someone finds and resurrects an old thread because they like the topic and desire to participate. Second, where a new thread is started with an identical or near-identical title or subject. I find myself in a quandary in both cases. In the first, I'd frequently like to participate in the re-animated thread, but the rules prevent doing so. (I think the rules are appropriate, if sometimes frustrating.) In the second, I sometimes have to check to make sure it's not a re-animated thread, and then see if I can find another image that fits as well as I like, rather than recycling the previously posted image. (The recent "Red" NW thread comes to mind.) I admit I prefer the second case, since it allows ongoing participation. However, it results in a loss of synergy available in a longer-lived thread. I wonder if, perhaps, the moderators might consider revising the NW rules such that participants can post more than once, so long as individual posts are separated by at least 30 days, or some such? The risk, of course, is that individual threads become so long that participants/viewers won't have time to work their way through 5+ pages of images in order to participate fully. Given that consideration it seems the current arrangement makes the most sense, even with the issues noted above. See you in the "fora"...:p

There are ways to get around the rules if necessary, but I am not guilty of it. I do not want to see someone post numerous photos consecutively in one thread, less it become the “davidrosen” show, or somebody else’s show. On the other hand most of my photos are the result of what’s around me. And so, they may be similar in subject matter. There have been instances where I wanted to post an image but I already posted on in that thread, so I refrain from posting it. I love the rule that asks for thread titles to allow others to participate.

There are always pros and cons to rules... Necessary obviously to prevent abuse. So, which way to go that is the question . Resurrect a thread that contains subject matter to suit the desired image you want to post. Or Start a new thread with same/similar title. . Cant please everyone . Maybe if you have already posted in the said thread then start your own new one, so you dont feel left out.... Plenty of new threads everyday so you can participate daily