Discontinued Slide Scanner

What editing software can I use with a discontinued Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What editing software can I use with a discontinued Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED?

• I haven't a clue what this means!
    • I haven't a clue what this means!

I have a discontinued Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED, using an iMac 27" and macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I can use VueScan to scan images with the Coolscan, but without all the features that the slide scanner is capable of. If possible I would like to be able to use all of the features that the Super Coolscan 5000ED is capable of.

What features does it lack that you're not seeing in Vuescan? I can get IR cleaning on both my V(same basic scanner) and 8000(medium format) and full control of things like the strip feeder from Vuescan.

With that said, there's a bit of a kludgy work-around that I haven't actually fully tested, but SHOULD work on the V/5000(and only these models, as the other Nikon scanners use either Firewire or SCSI). You can use VMWare Fusion and install an OS X 10.6(Snow Leopard) Server virtual machine. You can then "pass through" the scanner to this, and run Nikon Scan 4 in it. I need to actually test this set-up to see if it works, but it should.

(I boot into OS X 10.6.8 on my mid-2012 Mac Pro to run Nikon Scan for both my V and 8000, but doing this PROBABLY isn't possible on your iMac).

Thank you Ben and wogears for your assistance. Ben: All that Vuescan does is scan the slide, none of the editing features that I used previously with the 5000 are available. The Super Coolscan 5000ED and the V may be the same, nonetheless, I still do not have any of the bells and whistles that I had access to previously. When I say previously, I mean when I first purchased the scanner(2013) and was using PC's. My iMac(2012) is does not have the software to run the scanner. wagers: Is it possible that I need a newer version of Vuescan? I am using 9.6.22 Professional(2018).

Are you using Vuescan in "advanced" mode? The UI is a bit different, but all the same adjustments(levels, curves, etc) including some of the automated ones present in Nikon Scan are there.

Even though I have the "lifetime" licenses, due to the fact that my scanning computer runs OS X 10.6.8 natively I use I think version 8.something and have used much older versions.

I have a current version of Silverfast to run an LS-8000, but no longer for an LS-4000. Vuescan wouldn't work for me (recognize the scanner) at the time, but that was a computer problem. The issue I had with Silverfast and the 4000 (35 mm only) was operating the batch scan options, including automatic the roll and slide feeders. It was a very manual operation to set up each frame, whereas Nikonscan did it automatically, using defaults which were very easy to establish. Is that an issue with Vuescan?

Are you using Vuescan in "advanced" mode? The UI is a bit different, but all the same adjustments(levels, curves, etc) including some of the automated ones present in Nikon Scan are there.

Even though I have the "lifetime" licenses, due to the fact that my scanning computer runs OS X 10.6.8 natively I use I think version 8.something and have used much older versions.

Ed_Ingold: I don't see a button for "advanced" mode. When I typed advanced mode in the help drop down I get the following options: Set advanced dialup mode; Set advanced hardware options; Set point to point PPP options and 7 more options. I do not see "advanced" mode in any of the drop down buttons at the top of the Vuescan(9.6.26) screen: Input; Crop; Filter; Color; Outputted; Prefs. Nor do I see the word advanced in the VueScan drop downs in the upper left hand portion of the screen: File; Edit; Scanner; Profile; Image PDF; Help or Window.

I have a current version of Silverfast to run an LS-8000, but no longer for an LS-4000. Vuescan wouldn't work for me (recognize the scanner) at the time, but that was a computer problem. The issue I had with Silverfast and the 4000 (35 mm only) was operating the batch scan options, including automatic the roll and slide feeders. It was a very

I have a current version of Silverfast to run an LS-8000, but no longer for an LS-4000. Vuescan wouldn't work for me (recognize the scanner) at the time, but that was a computer problem. The issue I had with Silverfast and the 4000 (35 mm only) was operating the batch scan options, including automatic the roll and slide feeders. It was a very manual operation to set up each frame, whereas Nikonscan did it automatically, using defaults which were very easy to establish. Is that an issue with Vuescan?

I have a Super CoolScan 5000ED, not an 8000 or 4000. But I looked at the Silverfast, and saw that the the software is supposed to work with the 5000. But I am reluctant to purchase the $500.00 software on the chance that it would enable me to utilize all of the features of my 50000. At this time, I will continue to try to use VueScan to enable those features.

manual operation to set up each frame, whereas Nikonscan did it automatically, using defaults which were very easy to establish. Is that an issue with Vuescan?

And the Color tab

[ATTACH=full]1279524[/ATTACH]

Thank you Wogears. I appreciate your posting the VueScan homepage, and clearing up my Professional vs Advanced confusion. I started to look at all the drop downs that you so generously took the time to post on this Photo.net site. Part of my problem is in the format of VueScan vs the format of the Nikon Scan format that comes with the 5000 ED. None of the buttons under the drop down headings in VueScan correspond to the prompts in Nikon Scan are similar to me. I grew so accustomed to the Nikon Scan format that the VueScan prompts made no sense to me. So do all the prompts in VueScan directly correspond to those in Nikon Scan? This may be the heart of my possible missapprehension.

Thank you Wogears. I appreciate your posting the VueScan homepage, and clearing up my Professional vs Advanced confusion. I started to look at all the drop downs that you so generously took the time to post on this Photo.net site. Part of my problem is in the format of VueScan vs the format of the Nikon Scan format that comes with the 5000 ED. None of the buttons under the drop down headings in VueScan correspond to the prompts in Nikon Scan are similar to me. I grew so accustomed to the Nikon Scan format that the VueScan prompts made no sense to me. So do all the prompts in VueScan directly correspond to those in Nikon Scan? This may be the heart of my possible missapprehension.

Not being sarcastic--read the manual (online guide). There is an eBook called Vuescan Bible which is also helpful.

Not being sarcastic--read the manual (online guide). There is an eBook called Vuescan Bible which is also helpful.

I know you're not being sarcastic in stating the obvious: Read the manual. Will look for the manual and VueScan Bible. Thanks again wogears!

• 1 year later...

I tried my nikon coolscan V ED with vuescan and nikon scan 4.3 (compared the same copies to epson v600 with vuescan and epson scan)

Both are good, but if you want to get the best of all, nikon scan get a bit better images (also working on win 10 64bit)

If I am lucky enough to own one of those I would use Windows XP and Nikon software. There is no problem to have a dedicated PC for this job even if you are a Mac user.

Mine runs on my Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, but one option I have at hand if I wanted to use the MP for something else is a 2010 Mac Mini. It's small, lightweight, low powered, and can run Snow Leopard for Nikon Scan compatibility.

I have a old Mac Pro tower running an early version of OS X, and the Nikon CoolScan 9000 software works well on it. You can buy old computers (Mac or Windows) that will do likewise for a song, no special talent required. Given the time it takes to do a high resolution scan, it's more convenient to dedicate a machine to the scanner anyhow