disassembly of Gitzo CF tripod legs

gerard_bynre

<p>How easy is it to take apart the legs of a Gitzo CF tripod, and reassemble them again? Is this a bad idea in terms of the care of the tripod? Will this void the Gitzo warrantee?<br>

I'm trying to decide between buying a Gitzo CF 3541LS, or a Gitzo CF 3541XLS tripod. For those unfamiliar with the differences, it's really a matter of height. The 3541XLS is considerably taller, 78 inches 'v' 58 inches in max height. However, it is also considerably longer when folded, 27.5 inches 'v' 21.5 inches. This is critical for me because I've decided that I need to be able to carry-on my tripod as well as the rest of my compact LF kit, when flying. The beauty of the Gitzo 3541LS is that it just fits inside airline carry-on regulations, but it is not so tall (I'm 6 ft). I'm wondering if I can buy a 3541XLS, and disassemble the legs when I'm flying, so it fits into a standard carry-on, and then re-assemble it at the other end?</p>

<p>Gerard,</p>

<p>It isn't a problem. I have the GT3541XLS and removed the legs at the first section to install bicycle inner tube sections as leg protectors. Other than you need to keep up with parts (of course), the only issue versus the earlier models is that the legs have to go in in a specific orientation for the anti-rotation feature. But that wasn't an issue.</p>

<p>You may want to disassemble outside the first time, IIRC there were a bit of CF fibers that were probably left overs from manufacturing and were very sharp, like tiny splinters. You may also want to put a tiny bit of wax or lubricant on the threads, but NOT on the bushings.</p>

<p>Cheers, Steve</p>

<p>Steve & Paul,</p>

<p>Thank you both for your advice. It seems to solve my problem - I feel I can buy the XLS, have all the height I will ever need, and be able to dis-assemble to get them onto a plane, and re-assemble the legs when needed. Thanks.</p>

<p>Gerard, I have the 3540ls which i believe is the exact dims as the 41. When evaluating a tripod, don't forget to consider the height of the camera on top of the tripod head, ballhead or 3way or whatever you're using. i bellieve the gitzo catalog u can download has a good graphic of tripod heights. that said, i'm 5'8 and dont usually have the 3540 legs all the way extended. For example, my eye height or camera is higher if i am shooitng through SLR vs lower height of view cam</p>

<p>i think there have been lots of discussions about this on the tripod forums, whether or not you can put a tripod in a carry on. Do I want my neighbor that i don't know to have a piped weapon in his carry on? hell no. But i think it depends on the TSA agent, assuming your'e in USA. My solution is to carry my older velbon in a duffle back surrounded by clothes, as a checked bag (with the expensive ballhead in carry on). that way not much loss if it's damaged or stolen. Yes before 9-11 i used to carry the velbon on, un wrapped, spiked feet and all. One thing i do recommend is no center column but add a leveling plate, i love the thing</p>

<p>The only thing I'd be worried about is getting grit or dirt in the threads, especially the female threads on the sections you remove. Those are quite hard to clean and make lots of noise when dirty. As for height, get the tallest tripod you can deal with. It's not often that I have mine set up on level ground so I need the extra length especiallly around water where one or more legs often gets pushed down into the mud. Some airlines may not let you carry it on either so be prepared or call ahead and ask. They don't really care about the length of the item. I wouldn't bother taking it apart unless they refuse to let you board. I've had them refuse to let me board with a travel-sized fly rod. It depends on the ignorance of the employee. </p>

<p>Guy's, thanks for the insight - buying tripods, esp. expensive ones, is a tricky business. WT, thanks for the moderation in terms of actual needs - your posts have been helpful to me in the past. But I'm concerned that while the shorter tripod will work perfectly in 90% of situations, at my height I will have no leeway if I need a bit extra - and I do a lot of architecture / urban stuff - so I think I'll take the green light from other posters, and accept the need to disassemble the XLS for travel. Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>You should not have a problem fitting a GT3541XLS in a 24" suitcase if you remove the head, column (if any) and the bottom three leg sections (as an assembly). I recommend putting the tripod in checked baggage (but carry the head on board). TSA may reject it for carry-on, and it's a big hassle to check it safely.</p>

<p>It's easy to disassemble (and assemble) the legs of a GT tripod. The tapered bushing is attached to the collar, which sets it apart from earlier versions of both CF and Al tripods. Each leg section has an upper guide, consisting of two pieces keyed to the shaft with a round hole. When reassembling the legs, the gaps between the two guides mate with splines molded into the inside of the tube above. The Gitzo parts diagram is found at <a href="http://www.gitzo.com/webdav/site/gitzo/shared/gitzo/pdf/GT/GT3541XLS_20080104.pdf">http://www.gitzo.com/webdav/site/gitzo/shared/gitzo/pdf/GT/GT3541XLS_20080104.pdf</a>.</p>

<p>Gitzo does not use lubricant on the threads of GT tripods, or at most a microscopically thin layer. The threads are much coarser than on previous models, and highly resistant to dirt and sand contamination.</p>

<p>Don't get the XLS model because you are tall. Get if if you need to place the camera well overhead (e.g., video in public places) or shoot upwards a lot (e.g., birds and air shows). It's normal to stoop a little and generally more convenient than having the viewfinder at eye level. It's easy to install a column if you need better adjustability or more height on occasions (the aluminum column is half the price of the CF version, and fits perfectly). I use a G-1321 leveling head on my 3540, and don't miss the column. I'm 5'10" and have trouble using the tripod fully extended. I normally use only the lower two extensions.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>

<p>FYI<br>

A follow-up to the above conversation. I did end up buying the GT3541XLS - a beautifully made piece of kit.<br>

For the record, this tripod is definitely too big to carry as hand luggage in any commercial airline. Even completely dis-assembled, the tripod conponents are still marginally too big, although if you are desperate enough, you could possibly get them into something that would pass as hand luggage.<br>

Another note - the tripod is both extremely solid (Any 4 x 5 I've ever used would be rock solid on this platform) and extremely tall - I'm 6 ft and I can stand underneath the apex of the tripod with height to spare!</p>

</p>