Disappointed with Nikon and Photokina

johne37179

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>24 MP is a good ceiling for APS-C, and the D7100 has some shelf life left. It may never completely satisfy loyal D300 users, but pro level APS-C is now obviously leaving the scene. Nikon's marketing direction appears to be the D810 and D750 Full Frame models, instead. Another group of Nikon users somewhat disappointed may have been those looking for a P8000. Heavier quality fixed lens compacts with lots of external controls and smaller sensors are also now passing away. The new marketing front appears to be large sensors in small bodies with lens interchangeability.</p>

<p>With regard to the D750, I was a bit disappointed with the 1/4000 sec shutter speed.</p>

<p>As to whether I would buy it or not, I will have to see some full-sized files under various lighting conditions to say. In any case, as long as my D800E is working, I can't quite see the point in having yet another backup.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>While I'm an avid Nikon DX sports shooter (D300 and D700), I am a little surprised at all the positive comments on the D750 and relative luke warm reception of the 7DII. On another web site that tallys interest in equipment, as of this morning, the D750 had 149 "I want it" and the 7DII had 157 "I want it". While the 7DII has a slight lead, I would have suspected it would have been larger. I still predict that by the end of the year, D750's will be "in stock" at most large retailers while the 7DII wouldn't be readily available till the 2nd quarter of 2015.</p>

<p>I have been disappointed with Nikon for some time now. I think the D750 is the world's greatest, number one, yawn. For me it is a camera positioned exactly where there was no real need. It is not enough better than the D610 to justify the additional money. I also think that the 1/4000 top speed and 1/200 flash sync are just examples of a camera designed to be mediocre. </p>

<p>Is DX dead? Well Canon doesn't think so. They just released a truly exceptional crop sensor camera. Nikon has nothing like it. Not even close. Pair it with the 5DMKIII and aspiring professional has everything a generalist needs for less than the cost of a D4s. Nikon has no competition for this new camera. </p>

<p>I am going to have to stop carping on this but my biggest disappointment with Nikon is their apparent turn away from excellence in the customer service arena. Try calling their call center some time. You will not be amused. Canon is doubling down on this too with the CPS offerings. I have participated in one Canon sponsored local event this year and they did not mind a bit my using my Nikon cameras. I have not seen Nikon even have a presence in this town of over a million folks in a decade. In fact I can't remember ever seeing them out here 'amongst us'. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I still predict that by the end of the year, D750's will be "in stock" at most large retailers while the 7DII wouldn't be readily available till the 2nd quarter of 2015.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Michael, that is hardly a fair comparison. Despite being named the D750, it is, at best, a modest upgrade from the D610 introduced a year ago (2013), which is turn is essentially the same as the D600 introduced in September 2012. In other words, Nikon has been introducing the D600, D610, and D750 merely one year apart for each generation, all with 24MP FX sensors and priced to within $200 on either side of $2100. The D750 is also $500 more than the 7D Mark II.</p>

<p>On the other hand, there has been a long five years since the 7D Mark II's predecessor, the 7D, was introduced in 2009. So there is far more pending upgrades after 5 long years.</p>

<p>However, 7 years ago when Nikon introduced the D300, there was essentially no waiting list. My local camera store got their first delivery around Thanksgiving, 2007. That batch fulfilled all the pre-orders and sold out quickly. A week later, they received another batch from Nikon. I called them up, and they told me that they had a lot in stock so that there was no need to pre-pay and no real rush either. I went over several hours later in the evening and bought one off the shelf, with many remaining. For those who wanted to buy the D300 for the 2007 holiday season, there was not much shortage.</p>

<p>Even in the early rush of the serious D800/D800E shortage in early 2012, the waiting list was no more than 2, 3 months. I ordered my D800E, which was harder to find back then, around April 15 and that same stored delivered it just less than 2 months in mid June.</p>

<p>Therefore, if there is indeed 7D Mark II shortage all the way until the 2Q of 2015 as you predicted, probably the only reason would be production issues in Canon so that they cannot deliver, especially for the all important holiday season sales. Hopefully that won't be the case as that would hardly be good news for Canon.</p>

<p>Very disappointed, not so much for myself but for all the D300/D300s owners waiting for the D400 that never came.<br>

They bought into a system and have been let down. A key area where DSLRs are still king is action photography yet Nikon seems unable to supply a modern DX action camera. Why Nikon Why?<br>

The compact market is lost to cell phones, the budget DSLRs market could be lost to mirror less cameras. One would think that Nikon would want to keep the customers they have but no for some reason Nikon just won't make the elusive D400. Why Nikon Why?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A key area where DSLRs are still king is action photography yet Nikon seems unable to supply a modern DX action camera. Why Nikon Why?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Action photography happens under bright light and dim light. FX has a clear advantage for sports photography under dim light (night games, indoor sports). While it is no Canon 1DX or Nikon D4S, with Nikon's best AF module and 6.5 fps, the D750 is still a very good choice for all around action photography in general, over any APS-C-format DSLR.</p>

<p>Compatibility with AI/AI-S lenses is a feature reserved to the top-of-the-line DX bodies such as the D1, D2 families plus the D200, D300/D300S. Hindsight is 20/20, looking back, when Nikon made the D7000 compatible with AI lenses back in 2010, they already had plans to make the D7000 series the top DX line. When they introduced the D7100 with the top-of-the-line AF module in February 2013, it was very obvious that the D7100 is intended to be the top DX model, and Nikon openly called it their flagship DX DSLR. I have pointed out on this forum numerous times over the last year and half that no true successor to the D300/D300S would be forthcoming. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Nikon's business choice, it shouldn't be a surprise now in September, 2014.</p>

<p>Full disclosure: I also thought no successor to the Canon 7D was forthcoming, but obviously Canon has chosen a different path and produces a 7D Mark II, 5 full years after the 7D. While Canon hasn't introduced an full-35m-frame DSLR for still capture for just over 2 years, they now have a brand new higher-end APS-C DSLR.</p>

<p>It's still rather disappointing though. Hopefully the 7DII will give Nikon the push to produce the true D300 successor. If they ever do produce one it might not be the best seller but does it need to be, they did make the DF after all. I often wonder if they actually couldn't produce one with the older expeed 3 processor. I don't know if Expeed 4 could be the answer now maybe we will see a D400 or D9000 after all.</p>

<p>This thread has brought back a distant memory. Throughout the 80s, Camera specialty shops, or ones touting the word Professional, had a Nikon representative in the store 3 to 4 times a year offering up knowledge, and tips to the Photographic endeavor in general, and of course to sell equipment. These individuals were actually Photographers, that knew, via their own experience, or through the experience of others like them, what the hot lenses were, why, and how to stretch your buck. They did it with the obvious love of Photography, and of course whatever the arrangement was with them, and Nikon. I feel to this day, that their effort helped mold the consumers impression of the brand. Photography has always been a technical occupation, as some of us just, 'Figure it out,' but at least today I celebrate the days when we had help. Heck! They even had a coffee pot on the counter.</p>

<p>not disappointed with nikon's photokina showing at all: they produced an FX camera i do have some interest in, after passing on the d600, 610, Df, 800 and 810, as well as a lens which had been missing from the FX lineup--20/1.8. so at least there are signs of life.</p>

<p>that said, one of the reasons i wasnt disappointed was because i've been managing my expectations with nikon for a while now. i'm probably more excited about what other companies showed at photokina: fuji's new lenses and x100t, panasonic's lx100, and yes the 7dII -- not just for sports but for video. it's getting more difficult to be a brand loyalist these days, and the only real reason to do so is investment in lenses. i dont really care who makes my gear as long as it does what i need it to do.</p>

<p>Well, if you are disappointed with Nikon, try the Olympus E-M5. I've had one for a while now and I rather hate it. The build quality is pretty crappy. My $300 battery pack turns off the camera when it is installed now, and it looks like it has been in battle, and it hasn't. It's small and has some good features but it is very frustrating to me. I bought it to travel with and every time I use it, I feel like throwing the dang thing. Pick up one of my Nikon DSLR's and it just falls in the hand. I'm pretty done with the micro 4/3's experiment after having owned two of them. </p>

<p>At one time I really wanted a D300 successor, but in the mean time what I photo has changed, as has my attitude towards gear. I rarely photo anything that requires fast FPS, and have grown increasingly averse to bulky, heavy gear. My photography used to entail a lot of wildlife (since I am surrounded by it,) photo'ing grain harvests/planting, and taking photos during my daily travels through the countryside. Now I shoot at night a lot, photo trains etc. with flash set ups, and do a fair amount of travel photography. I also shoot weddings and portraits for $$. I'm thinking the non-paid work could mostly be done with something like an Olympus OMD with maybe three lenses. As a former MF shooter I am now also interested in what Pentax is doing with their 645Z. It will do for me the things an EMD outfit will not. That leaves weddings & portraits. Lately, I've been getting tired of doing those. They pay well enough, but they tie up my weekends. Duck season is just around the corner. I'm thinking I'd rather have the free time than the money. Portraits are pretty easy and don't require nearly as much time. I could easily do those with a Pentax 645Z instead of my D7100. Part of my marketing niche is I often use 100-170 year old lenses on my 4x5 to create an authentically vintage look for those who want that. Bottom line is if Nikon decides they want to go an FX only route, they've lost me to their competitors to the top and bottom. I really have no interest in FX at this point. I'm thinking the prices on MF gear will continue to drift down. A used Pentax should be within my reach in a couple of years. I haven't given up on Nikon yet though, they do seem to be moving forward.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of a D7200, D9300, D400 showing up at Photokina?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not me...<br /> I do not create expectations for my self which depend on products made by others, so i do not get dissapointed by my own creation of expectations..</p>

<p>I feel Nikon had a very nice set-up at the photokina, with geat speakers, a nice robot arm setup, and knowledgable ppl at their stands, so nothing to be disapointing there either...</p>

<p>Also other brands ( canon Fujifilm, Olympus etc.) had very nice presentations and showing their products in innovative ways, so no complains there either...</p>

<p>My disappointment comes from the lack of a significant addition of existing features to the top of the line DX body. I relegate my primary body to a second place position, not because it is bad, but because its useful life has reached about a half way point. I'm at that place with my D7000. I think the D7100 offers a nice improvement, but is still lacking in some of the features I'd like. I will put one foot in each world -- FX and DX, but don't really want the expense of two FX bodies to do that. For the last 10 months I have been postponing my purchases pending a release at Photokina of a new DX body. So much for all that waiting. I guess is is one of the D8XX and a D7100 that will fill that gap. </p>