Disappointed by AF 50 1.8 wide open

steve_phillipps

<p>I shot some badminton yesterday with the AF 50 f1.8 and because of the terrible lighting typical of indoor sports events used it wide open. When I looked at the shots I was really surprised at how soft they were, with a sort of halo effect around edges. I know no lens is optimal wide open but this really was poor and I'd always thought of 50s as being among the sharpest of lenses.<br>

Shots with my 80-200 f2.8 wide open were night and day different, super sharp, but I was needing iso6400 rather than 3200 then.<br>

I'm sure this is normal behaviour for the 50 1.8 and not a fault, and presumably the advice would be close down to 2.8 - defeating the object of a fast aperture of course!<br>

Steve</p>

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I agree, my 50 F1.8 AF Nikkor turned out to be a dog wide open on my small sensor Nikons. And, the 75 mm equiv. focal length doesn't do much for me. I now think of it as an expensive body cap that can take pictures. F2.8 ain't bad, but, as you said, what is the point. I'd rather use my old 28-50 mm AIS zoom Nikkor that is a lot sharper, focuses much closer, and looks and feels like a real lens.</p>

<p>Interesting.<br>

I wonder if you have a bad copy.<br>

The 50mm 1.8 is IMO one of Nikon's best kept secrets, esp considering the price.<br>

I have absolutely nothing but praise for this lens.<br>

While not tack sharp wide open (not many lenses are) even at 1.8 I am pleased after a little high pass sharpening. Shooting at longer distances is not the way to see this lens strut its stuff. Shooting a portrait when extreme limited DOF is required; is the way to see this gem rock & roll.</p>

<p>On a D3, you could have gone 'B+W' with a ISO way, way past 6400, but if you needed color, f2.8 and ISO 6400 should have been fairly decent with the AF 50mm 1.8D Nikkor lens. [You had a lens hood on the 50mm lens, right?]</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use the 50 f/1.8D on my Kodak Pro 14NX. 13.5MP and no AA filter. It really puts a lens to the test. I find it to be a more demanding camera then the D700 I have rented.<br>

On my camera in my hands the 50 works very well wide open. Tack sharp no but there are no "halo" effects around the edges.<br>

I am not sure what kind of shooting you where trying to do but it really sounds like more of the wrong place wrong time for that lens then a bad lens. But then it could also be OE</p>

<p>Michael, by OE I assume you mean operator error? Not sure what sort of error could be made, or do you mean out of focus? I don't think it was that as they look in focus to me and it's consistent on all images.<br /> Tack sharp is a difficult thing to quantify and everyone's definition is different - certainly this was not good enough for my taste.<br>

Peter, this is not a DoF thing though, you'll see that if you look at the image.<br>

<br /> Steve</p>

<p><em>Why can't I upload an image?</em><br /> Probably because it`s outside the limits. Check <em><a href="../info/frequent-questions#upload_forum_images">14.</a></em><a href="../info/frequent-questions#upload_forum_images"> </a><em><a href="../info/frequent-questions#upload_forum_images">How do I include an image in a forum post?</a></em><br>

___<br>

I think your pic is fine. Actually this lens is softer wide open. </p>

<p>I have recently performed a series of test shots through wide open aperture to F8 on 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 105 2.8 and 80-200 2.8. What I found with my lens samples was that at wide open aperture, the 85 and 105 produced excellent sharpness, the 50 was a little softer while my 80-200 was soft at both 80 and 200. The zoom is now at Nikon for an examination even it has always produced excellent sharp prints on film body. Please see the MTF chart on the 50 1.8 lens review:<br>

<a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/217-nikkor-af-50mm-f18-d-review--test-report">http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/217-nikkor-af-50mm-f18-d-review--test-report</a></p>