Disappearing POTW

Yes, also when I clicked on the photo, it gave me error, instead of taking me to the photo comments.

It was a digital art, about a winged superman flying around saturn, with rays of light shining from heaven (crude recollection).

I can understand why someone would choose to make a POTW private, As soon as it is given this this title the vultures descend and rip it to pieces.

Although people seem to have mellowed over the last few weeks.

Maybe folks are coming together in these troubled times.

Edited by Gerald Cafferty

I can understand why someone would choose to make a POTW private, As soon as it is given this this title the vultures descend and rip it to pieces.

Although people seem to have mellowed over the last few weeks.

Maybe folks are coming together in these troubled times.

GC - Yesterday there was a photo of a guy with wings, now, like you said, it is gone.....

In PN1, even if someone hid a photo, it remained on view in Photo of the Week. The software overrode the user's hiding it. I imagine that could be done in PN2 as well.

Supriyo, how did you find the new POTW for this week? The only way I know to access the POTW is to click on the EXPLORE tab and then choose Photo of the Week, where a bunch of thumbnails from previous weeks come up along with the current POTW. I can access the POTW via your link above but not in the traditional way I've used. How did you find it? How would anyone else find it who doesn't read this thread?

I'm actually glad it will remain mostly unseen and find the elves duplicitous by choosing it. It's a photo of a religious procession where people obviously do not want their pictures taken. Some things just don't demand a photograph. A good photographer knows at least two things. When to take a photo and when not to take one. Good editors, if the elves were such, should know even better what to highlight and what not to highlight. I'm not a religious person, but unless religion is playing with politics at my or other's expense, I'm very respectful of the sanctity of certain religious observations and rituals. If someone is practicing their faith and doesn't want to be photographed, let alone shown on the Internet, I see no reason not to respect that. People will argue, "Art should not be censored." And I will argue back, "Not all photos are art." This one seems pretty artless to me. I've given my impressions here because I don't want to participate by supporting the POTW page this week.

• Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Supriyo, how did you find the new POTW for this week? The only way I know to access the POTW is to click on the EXPLORE tab and then choose Photo of the Week, where a bunch of thumbnails from previous weeks come up along with the current POTW. I can access the POTW via your link above but not in the traditional way I've used. How did you find it? How would anyone else find it who doesn't read this thread?

Fred,

Saw your comment just now. The new POTW is the third photo in the second row instead of being the first photo in the first row. Thats why it got missed probably. I was scanning through the list and noticed a new photo that I couldn't recall being seen before in that gallery. So I clicked on it and found it that way.

The new POTW is the third photo in the second row instead of being the first photo in the first row. Thats why it got missed probably. I was scanning through the list and noticed a new photo that I couldn't recall being seen before in that gallery. So I clicked on it and found it that way.

I found it from the photo.net front page. Scroll down to Community on Display and it's there: it was there from at least when I commented on the picture, which was 5/24 at 4:31 AM Eastern Standard Time.

I found it from the photo.net front page. Scroll down to Community on Display and it's there: it was there from at least when I commented on the picture, which was 5/24 at 4:31 AM Eastern Standard Time.

I have stopped looking at the PN front page for this distracting scrolling. I admit though, searching the front page didn't occur to me, and was probably the most straightforward way of checking for a new POTW.

Glenn, I think there's a misunderstanding. Sorry. The first photo chosen a week ago for POTW was, as you say and said before, made PRIVATE, so no one could see it after the first couple of hours. However, there was quickly a SECOND photo made POTW for last week, which is NOT PRIVATE but appears in the wrong place among the thumbnails on the POTW page, so people were having a hard time finding it until Supriyo posted a link to it and told us that it was out of order on the POTW page. Since today is Tuesday, there is now a new POTW which is in the correct position on the POTW page. Last week's POTW appears here, just click this LINK. Edited by Norma Desmond
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Actually, Glenn, that's not the case. As Supriyo said above, the photo is public but is in the wrong position among the thumbnails on the POTW page.

Lats week, I found the new POTW in the second row, like an underdog backbencher. The old POTW (the one with superman and Saturn) was indeed private. This week's POTW is the first photo in the list, as expected. I think Glenn is referring to a photo that was originally chosen as this week's POTW but has since been made private.

Glenn, I think there's a misunderstanding. Sorry. The first photo chosen a week ago for POTW was, as you say and said before, made PRIVATE, so no one could see it after the first couple of hours. However, there was quickly a SECOND photo made POTW for last week, which is NOT PRIVATE but appears in the wrong place among the thumbnails on the POTW page, so people were having a hard time finding it until Supriyo posted a link to it and told us that it was out of order on the POTW page. Since today is Tuesday, there is now a new POTW which is in the correct position on the POTW page. Last week's POTW appears here, just click this LINK.

That would be correct.