Directions to best places to take photos in ASPEN and BRECKENRIDGE Colorado

bobby_schmidt

I'm coming from the Colorado plains (near the Kansas border) and will be getting on us50 headed toward Aspen and Breckenridge. Any directions to scenic spots would be helpful.

I'm not in a 4x4 either, just an old datsun b210. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any good recommendations for those areas. I should be in that area for a few days, so I could hit a few sunrises and sunsets.

Bobby

I've only been in this area in autumn but in the absence of anyone else responding, let's start you off with this.

There are two roads which run south from a junction at the west end of Aspen. One leads to the Maroon Bells -lake and view of shapely mountains and is otherwise scenic also. They close this road to car traffic (you have to get a shuttle bus) after a certain time in the day in peak seasons so enquire locally and get out early. The other road is Castle Creek road which you'll be able to navigate in your car for part of it's length.

The Independence Pass, east of Aspen, is scenic on both sides. Good aspen groves here.

If you look on a map you'll find ther aren't a lot of roads around Aspen. It is an area where people hike a lot (Maroon Lakes is a favourite startpoint) and a number of the drives need 4wd. Flowers are generally best up the hills and sometimes hard to get to in a sedan.

A place where it's easy to get high up is the Rocky Mountain national park but it's a long drive from Aspen(you'd probably have to stay up there) and you won't be alone in summer. Scenery -wise, I prefer Aspen to Breckenridge or Vail, but if you plan to spend a week round there in summer I'd be planning to do some walking or commercial 4wd tours (a thriving industry in Colorado) to get to places a Datsun won't go.

Find a copy of Scenic Driving Colorado (A Falcon Guide) by Stewart Green.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560444517/qid=1024149946/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5872030-2427168

Breckenridge is on Hwy 9 out of Fairplay. Hwy 50 to Salida, 291 North to Hwy 24 just before Buena Vista. East on 24 to Hwy 285, North on 285 to Fairplay, then North on 9 in Fairplay.

To get to Aspen, drive I70 to Glenwood Springs (currently on fire) then North on 82. (Independence Pass is the quickest route. A B210 will make up--just not very fast :)

Enjoy

Correction: Aspen is actually Southeast of Glenwood Springs on Hwy 82 (not North). (I should know this having lived in Glenwood Springs for 3 years once upon a time :)

Check the Denver TV Channel 9 web site for the latest wildfire info.

www.9news.com

I just saw that book at a used book store today. I'll go back and get it tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

How 'bout Boreas Pass near Breckenridge? Anyone been through there? And can I just pull off the side of the road along Independence Pass or Boreas Pass (or any other scenic road) to take photos or do I need to find specific pulloffs?

Thanks again!!!

Boreas pass is graded gravel-noproblem for any car.It is also pretty.

There is a pulloff at the top of independance pass where u can take pics etc however the rest of the road is extremely narrow with some hairpin turns.There are pullout spots at lower elevations.

I would focus on getting my butt to Maroon Bells asap if you are under time constraints as that is really the best scenery you will find in SW Co.Check out castle cr rd also in Aspen.And walk a few miles up some trials to get full impact.