Diopter Lens on WLF

gordon_sn

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I currently wear glasses where i cannot see long distance objects (about 20cm without them).<br>

I just made a purchase for the Mamiya RB67 but it doesn't have any diopter lens, will this really hinder my shots? I know the purpose is to make sure that what is seen on the WLF is picture sharp as possible.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are diopter lenses available in various strengths, scroll down to the pdf file http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/which-diopter-for-rb67.68248/. Either your eyeglasses need to accommodate the diopter currently in place or you need to acquire a replacement diopter of the appropriate strength. Otherwise, you will not consitently get accurate focus.</p>

<p>The lens fitted to a waist level finder is not strictly for dioptre correction, rather it is a magnifier to enable a close up view of the focusing screen. Are you saying there's no lens fitted at all?</p>

<p>Best wait until you get it and try viewing with or without glasses. It may just be OK.</p>

<p>I need diopter correction for all cameras except that for my camera with a WLF I don't. It doesn't seem as critical.<br>

It does look like your optical correction needs are higher though. As John says above, all WLFs have a magnifying lens so that the user can view something that's only 2 inches away, and if a diopter correction is needed, a different version of that magnifying lens is required (maybe stronger or weaker) not an additional correcting lens.<br>

Do you want to use the camera without your glasses?</p>

I want to use the camera with my glasses. It

doesn't appeal to me to take them on and

offagain for every photo.

Like I said I can't see distant objects without

my spectacles. But with them I am more

than ok with it.

<p>I need reading glasses to see close. I got a plus 1 diopter for the WLF on my Rolleiflex. I can see the image nice and sharp through that +1 magnifier without my glasses however I need my glasses to view the image normally in the WLF. So with the + diopter in I have to take my glasses off to fine focus because the + of my glasses combined with the + of the diopter makes the image blurry. So I ended up putting the normal stock magnifier back in so I can leave my glasses on for viewing and for focusing. I also discovered that I don't need to put my eye right down on the magnifier to focus. In fact I don't need to raise the camera to my eye at all, I can just pop up the magnifier at waist level and though I can't see whole image I can select to see what I want to focus on. If that makes sense. Mostly I use a prism instead of the WLF because I have the + diopter in it and I don't need to use my reading glasses at all.</p>

<p>Hi Gordon,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I currently wear glasses where i cannot see long distance objects (about 20cm without them).<br>

I want to use the camera with my glasses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then all you need is the standard WLF magnifier lens - not a special dioptre lens specific to your eyesight, as many respondents here have assumed.</p>

<p>The purpose of any WLF magnifier eyepiece is to take the nearby object (the image on the focusing screen) and reproject it to infinity. That allows us to position our eye up close to the WLF lens, without strain, and to sharply see the entire field of view covered by the focusing screen. When you wear your glasses, your vision is also corrected to normal infinity focus, so the output beam from the WLF eyepiece is properly matched to your eyes.</p>