Digital Wedding Forum? Any members

brooke_moore

I signed up in Dec for a 6mo membership to evaluate. Gotta say I made my money back quickly, happened to join right when YSI album design software was offering 50% off to all members (didn't know about this as it's only advertised to members). Saved a couple hundred bucks but so far there has been quite a bit of value just reading over archives. Got tips for our first bridal show and all sorts of business related info. So far I find it very helpful as a resource for running the business.

I personally find photo.net more helpful when I am in need of technical advice though.

Subscribing for other answers...

I did the trial membership, but it didn't seem long enough to get me hooked...

For me, I think the best selling point is that it is not open to the public and it should be easier to discuss sensitive issues that won't show up on a google search.

love love love it! so much info, so many great people that honestly want to help you get

better (as a photographer and a business person). So worth it. Try DWF Start for a while (free)

then get the free trial membership. Once you get a feel for how much info is really on there,

you see how affordable the membership price really is.

The discounts and business and purchase offers to members are suitable only residents of the USA (all that I have encountered thus far).

DWF commentary is more USA centric (and obviously Wedding centric), than Photonet, which has a wider compass in both regards.

The first point above, I assume, is of benefit to you, at least for you to know about them: the second I am not sure, I see it a benefit in regards to a local market perspective.

In regard to `sensitive issues`, mentioned previously, it is my opinion that if the issue is so sensitive that it requires such intimate details be declared which identifies the inquirer and the subjects of the question for an accurate answer: then such a question should not be asked on ANY forum, but only of a confidant, and in private and face to face.

Note that Photonet Administrators will post a sensitive question on behalf of a member, if requested.

Also perhaps it is better for business people to join any on line forum with a membership name divested of their business name and its links.

As a general recommendation for outlaying your business capital, I suggest you consider purchasing a subscribing to Photonet first: for the small annual fee Photonet asks, it is much better value for money, IMO.

WW

I've been a member for almost 3 years. I agree with Dave, if I could belong to only one forum, it would be DWF. I attended the DWF convention this year in Tampa and it was a fantastic experience. I disagree with William W (retired) about it being USA centric. A large percentage of the participants are from foreign lands, especially UK and down under. I do agree it's probably English language centric.

All ten of the top wedding photographers in the world, at least according to some famous magazine, are active participants in the forum. Imaging having one of them comment on one of your photographs. What is that worth to you to have the opinion of the best in the world?

Paul

>>> I disagree with William W (retired) about it being USA centric. <<< (PS)

Thanks for that comment.

I am aware of a few: but it seems by first impressions are now out of date.

I should revisit it.

Thanks again, I appreciate you mentioning my comment directly, to ensure I would pick it up.

Regards,

WW

Been a member for years. It's not a competition between this site and the DWF. Both are

good sources of shared information.

The DWF split their site so beginners could have a place to go and get basic information

while the more established shooters don't have to wade through countless redundant

questions in the pro forum.

I've gone one of their conventions and it was very well done and well attended. People

from all over the world.

I belonged, then dropped it. There is valuable info there, but the forum topics often seem to run on forever with a lot of redundancy. There seems to be little control by moderators and subjects tend to be discussed ad infinitum. Forums can be informative and helpful, but they can also eat you alive in terms of time spent. That said, the DWF does provide some great services. Last year, for example, the DWF was instrumental in exposing Bella Pictures' unethical practices and more or less forced Bella into acknowledging what they had done and at least pay lip service to mending their ways. I'm not sure that could have been done in any other place short of lawsuits. That was a good thing for all of us. In the end, I guess it's up to the individual as to how they want to spend their time.

I agree with Marv, there's a lot of redundancy on dwf and the same subjects keeps coming up. From a technical point of view I think photo.net is better, especially the specific forums here like the Nikon Forum etc. But the business, art and portrait sections on dwf are pretty good. Still I don't think I will renew. Forums takes lots of time, time that could be better spent actually shooting something :)

Peter