Digital vs. film cameras

avadanielsen

What are some of the main differences between using a digital camera as opposed to a film camera? What are some of the benefits and disadvantages to both?

Mod Note - this has been moved to Beginner Forum and some comments have been edited to reflect that, please stay on topic addressing the beginner's question

Edited by William Michael

Hmm... with a digital camera you can make great (fake) Polaroids, with a real Polaroid, you can't.

Using my Instax SP-2 printer to produce images directly from my digital cameras, photographs that I couldn't create directly with a 'real' instant camera, such as shallow depth of field portraits, always leaves me feeling a little dirty, like I'm cheating somehow.

Probably why I'm building my own instant camera, with a real lens.

I love my instant cameras, the more I use them, the better I get, but the results can be very 'hit or miss'.

Some of us, by the way, LOVE messing around on a computer. With a program like Photoshop every person can aspire to be a digital Ansel Adams. The race, however, is not always to the....

I give full credit to the excellent scientists and technicians involved in the photographic industry. The research, development, and design aspects, as well as production, are extraordinary. However, very few photographic manufacturing technicians comprehend photography as an art form, or understand the kinds of equipment the creative person requires. The standards are improving in some areas, however: in my opinion modern lenses approach the highest possible levels of perfection, and today's negative and printing materials are superior to anything I have known and used in the past. I am sure the next step will be the electronic image, and I hope I shall live to see it. I trust that the creative eye will continue to function, whatever technological innovations may develop.

Ansel Adams, 1983 Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs. Little, Brown and Company. p.59

The black ones fetch higher prices though. The easier the paint rubs off, the higher the price?

Brassing is more obvious on black, and also a desirable attribute? Should they have made and still make all those cameras in brass, like ancient telescopes, microscopes and other things, which says 'scientific' and 'quality'? A brass DSLR or mirrorless... hmm...

Ironically, some of the earliest 35mm cameras (Like the Contax I) were black, "Silver" (often nickel) was more expensive because seen as more durable.

In the 60s, some professional and military photographers would purposely wear off the black so as not to seem to be newbies. Amateurs soon followed.

It's like making your 4-wheel drive vehicle all muddy even though your lawn is as far off-track as the vehicle has been.

And some 'misguided' (in my view) individuals take perfectly innocent film camera bodies and 'bling them up' with coloured replacements for the original black leatherette trim, or paint portions of them for some bizarre reason.

I'm guilty as charged, but only when the original cover has failed in some fashion. Then I figure they're fair game:

2098537386_Contax-139Q-red-cover2.jpg.f9f3d317271c7181278739b19fe344c8.jpg

The original 'cover' had completely stripped off down to the crappy felt layer. Nah, nah

Normally I'm a conservationist, but ...

• Like 2