digital stereo

<p>Dear all,<br>

I saw that from the printed stereo pairs of the 19th century (which I did archive research on and have articles - see my profile page) and the later glasses (I have some glasses from the DDR to look at stereo film slides - actually since I had strabism as a child I am more used to this kind of exercise than I wished) now it is worked with green and red photographed images which are superposed (digitally). <br>

I wanted to ask how this is done:<br>

- first: how the colouring in green/red of the photos taken with the two cameras is done<br>

- second: how they are superposed to one image. Maybe by setting transparency of one?<br>

Is there anywhere a manual for doing 3D? I've heard that also for taking the photos themselves you need a special equipment.<br>

I am thinking of doing one installation where one of the images should be printed on a screen and the other projected on it from a beamer. Do you think this would work?<br>

I also saw in an album about historic photography that those historic pairs were taken, probably scanned and converted and the today's green and red image resulted.<br>

I am also thinking of maybe superposing this way a photograph and a computer reconstruction.<br>

many thanks and kind regards<br>

Maria</p>

<p>a quick way of doing kind of stereoscopic image quickly is to select the CYAN channel and move it right or left with the appropriate arrow on your keyboard. Depending of how much you move it you can create dimension on different subject.. like dpeth of field let say.. it work very well, and the effect is cool with red / blue glass.</p>

<p>Not the same as using 2 camera from different position and using there different chanel to create also the *roundness* of your subject, but enough to make your kid and family ask you are doing it ; )</p>

<p>To me after being very enthusiastic about 3D during the 1950's revival the use of red and green is an inferior system to using polarisers which is how current cinema systems work thanks to electronics we have today. In my early days similar glasses were used but two projectors with their light polarised at 90 degrees differently provided the images.<br>

I wouldn't call it 'special' equipment ... I had a beam splitter which with four mirrors enabled me to have two slightly different images on a single 35mm frame taken from a separation equal to a person's eyes. Others take two photos moving the camera in between exposures to equal or exagerate the separation, the latter helps to separate far objects. In the latest revival of 3D there are cameras which adjust the angle of taking in a similar fashion to a persons eyes when they focus on something close [ cross eyed ] which some question <a href="http://www.dpreview,com">www.dpreview,com</a> did an article on the subject awhile ago.<br>

For your installation you could consider the wire raster system which stops the left eye seeing what the right eye sees ... but only if the viewer looks from the correct angle.<br>

My knowledge/ memory comes from an interest in movie systems and I'm sure if you research further you will find stills enthusiasts have built up systems which I don't know about.</p><div>00a0AF-441545584.JPG.7c1d52b5e64fbb44945df3b87855e9d5.JPG</div>

• 3 weeks later...