Digital SLR Magazine UK

benjikan

Just received my copies of the December 2007 Issue of Digital SLR Magazine UK. They did an incredible

job of printing. It is a six page article and it starts by saying occupation: Professional

Photographer/Creative Director. Camera: Pentax K10D system.

It think this may be a shot in the arm for the perception of Pentax amongst the professionals. Of the six

pages there are five full page images with very little text of which three of the images are shot on the

K10D.

Good for Pentax...

Oh..they are sending me two San Disk 4 Giga CF cards...Don't use them and a San Disk Card reader.

Ben

I've picked up Digital SLR a time or two myself and they always seem very supportive of the Pentax cameras...

So... Are you needing to get rid of the CF cards? It just happens that I need a 4 gig card for an 8-track audio console I bought on Monday, and I haven't used CF in a camera since 64M was BIG! ;-P

Ben,

I am missing something from your post. Is this an article that you wrote or that features your photos? I'm guess it is, but you don't say so explicitly. I know it's not because you're shy. ;-)

Second, is this mag available in the US of A? I've picked up some excellent magazines from the UK at our biggest bookstore here in Dallas but I don't recall this one specifically.

Will

What a story you have! I enjoy all your threads in various forums. I am proud to see you on the magazine. It is sure sto be a good read for me when I manage to get some quiet time tonight. Thanks for all the link and scanned magazine pages. You have an instant admirer.

And your work in your website is awesome! Please don't drink again though I am thinking about it tonight for a career change similar like your path. Sometime life throws us a curve ball that looks so dim in catching it, but if we do it right with the Almighty's help, it is a home run like your new career into fashion and art with Pentax gear. Your work is an inspiration to newbie and amateur like me. I hope your next drink has a dedicated driver, and I wish I can be there to drive you home the next occasion.

Ben, I finished the article last night and truly enjoy the article. It is wonderful read and the 2nd page is spectacular with your photo and the creativity that goes into the planning from theme creation to final publication. And your story is a real testament for Pentax with professionals going from Canon to Pentax and you chose the best digital gear with K10D.

I hope you accept my apology in reading too fast and too shallow into the title of the magazine, your true story inspires me with your creativity, your never-give-up attitudes, and your passion into visual arts. And it shows in the creativity in the work that you produce, not like others who are followers of the norms. I will do the 'google search' on your post processing article and I am sure it is another eye opener for me.

Warmest,

Hin

Thank you Hin...Here it is:

"Dang" sent me a message asking about my workflow methods. Here is one of the

methods I use more often than not. It is one of several, but none the less. A few of you

might find it helpful:

http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanarek-post-processing-method#more-213

http://pentaxlife.com/forum/topic/61?replies=2

The workflow I employ that is intended for press or print. When shooting in RAW which is

always the case, I open an image via Bridge in to PS3 which automatically opens in Adobe

Camera Raw. As stated (Now this is an alternative method to the one given at "Pentax Life")

I will sharpen the image at 25 to 35 percent in ACR, Luminance Smoothing "0" and Color

Noise reduction at "50". I generally click OK at this stage, (unless I am way off in my

exposure, which if I am, I have to seriously re-consider my chosen profession)

When open in PS3 in 16 bits, I create a Duplicate Layer. Now here is where you can go

both ways. (sounds a bit suspect) Depending on what I wish to accomplish in terms of

saturation, I will either De-Saturate the image or leave it as a color image. The two are

radically different in there outcome. Once I have created the Duplicate Layer, I will go in to

the Layers Menu "TAB" and click on Normal which will open a large choice of different

options. I will "Click" on "Soft Light". When doing so and dependent on the contrast of the

image, you will notice a radical increase in contrast and saturation if you left the original

image in color. Generally with my stuff and I say generally as it totally depends on the

lighting I have employed, I will set the "Opacity" and "Fill" sliders from 50 to 85 percent

each. Once I am satisfied with the result, I will flatten the image, as it is not yet ready for

re-touch, this is a pre-retouch manipulation that I do on every image in preparation for

the Post Production retouch. Once in PS, I will in many cases use the Shadow Highlight

tool at my Default setting being,

Shadows:

Amount 2%

Tonal Width 50%

Radius 30%

Highlights:

Amount 2%

Tonal Width 50%

Radius 30%

Color Correction +20 Mid-tone 0

It may change dependent on the conditions.

Now, if the "Duplicate Layer" I made used the "De-saturation" process, after I have

flattened the layer, I might augment the overall Saturation by 10 to 20 %. If I wish to keep

the image with "That" desaturated look I may do nothing. It depends on the effect I am

looking for.

If I did not use the "De-saturation" process and left the "Layer" in color, I may "De-

saturate' the overall image by 10 to 20%.

If I do not sharpen in PS, I will do the following for a more "RADICAL" look. After I have

imported in to PS from ACR, I will Unsharp Mask (Accentuate) from 120 to 330 percent at

0.3 pixels and I will Unsharp Mask again at 10 to 15% at 40 to 60 pixels to really "POP" the

contrast. I will go to "Shadow Highlight" and do the required manipulations to compensate

for a loss of shadow detail.

I am now ready for the "Retouch Artist"

When retouch is done and up-sized if necessary, I will sharpen again at 100 to 180

percent at 0.3 pixels.

That is my systematic "Workflow" method.

Ben

Ben, much thanks for your inline text of the article. You are a kind soul who shares valuable experience with others in art creation. I will stick it to my office and my work cubicle. You are going to get a laugh at my current workflow. I am pure amateur running high in photography passion.

Nothing is like to stay behind a viewfinder for an image -- Hin

I am the worse person from any software company to make a dime from. I used all free software and I have been naively successful in staying away from Adobe software -- they cost too much for me.

My current workflow on JPEG pictures:

1. open picasa

2. click 'I feel lucky'

3. light adjustment, color and contrast if necessary

4. special effects with 'b&w', 'filtered b&w', 'focal b&w' and something else that make the picture pop.

Much thanks to your write up, I wish my venture into freelance work can get me enough dimes to save up for the ultimate PS purchase along with others. I work in software engineering and I hates prirated software and my conscience can't get me that free copy that I can ask at any moment of needs.

My amateur work:

Warning: first two blogs have advertisements, readers please skip links if you are offended with advertisement. Caveat: I work as software engineer related to advertisements.

photo blog: http://hintheman.blogspot.com

learning: http://techtheman.blogspot.com

aminus3: http://hintheman.aminus3.com

art (experiment): http://hintheman.imagekind.com

freelance (experiment): http://hintheman.com

Much thanks,

Hin