Digital point and shoot with flash and viewfinder?

james_mixon

I've been doing a lot of portraits lately with my 5D and an on camera flash, but it's far from portable and I'd love a point and shoot, digital, that can accomplish the same sort of thing, shoot raw, and be portable. There's so many film camera alternatives, but I'm looking for something digital.

The closest I could find is the x100s from Fujifilm, but the lens is a little too wide for my tastes, as I shoot a lot of people. I'd prefer something around 40mm (full frame on my 5D) that's not going to distort too hard when shooting a person relatively close. I'm having a hard time finding something, can anyone give me some suggestions, preferably around or less than 600$?

Two particular aspects of the x100s that I like for Portraiture are:

> the quietness of the Shutter

> the fact that the Leaf Shutter allows for a fast Flash Sync Speed.

As well as those aspects, the x100s is certainly; pocketable; compact; discrete and easy to use one handed.

One general aspect of the Fuji mirror-less system that I like, is that the Flash Hot Shoe pin configuration is the same as the Canon System, thereby allowing me to use my Canon Off Camera Cord for Off Camera Flash. (I understand that you have primarily been asking about the Camera's in-built flash or 'on camera' flash capacity).

If I understand the OP correctly - "The closest I could find is the x100s from Fujifilm, but the lens is a little too wide for my tastes, as I shoot a lot of people. I'd prefer something around 40mm (full frame on my 5D) that's not going to distort too hard when shooting a person relatively close."

The Fuji x100s has a 23mm F/2 lens - that's about 'equivalent to' a 35mm Lens when used on your Canon 5D, that is to say not much wider than the 40mm lens you desire.

Therefore, you'd only need to step back a wee bit and shoot a bit wider and then make a small crop in Post Production. The 'distortion' that you reference, is not because of the lens's Focal Length, but is a factor of the Subject Distance.

Mentioned all the above because you state that the FL is the only reason you are looking farther afield, than the x100s.

WW

I have no problem with Fuji or Sony or some of the smaller Olympus brands. Right now I bought a used like new Panasonic GX 7 for 400 dollars. An inexpenseive Olympus 45mm makes a good portrait length of 90mm equivalent. It is an under rated camera with a nice size, bright finder, and even a built in flash. Check it out at KEH or B and H used department. Lots turn up. I use it with a 20mm lens for day to day and carry a 45mm fast 1/8 for portrait outdoors. Snazzy combo. It is the same size as a point and shoot but a better choice in my opinion. Simple enough to operate and a touch screen well designed for comfy shooting. Fits in a corner of your bag too. I have yet to see a point and shoot to really love...the lenses trombone out a lot from what I can tell to give you a zoom effect. With a few rather expensive exceptions. Tell me I am amiss. Edited by GerrySiegel