Digital pinhole...

tlshaffer

I am looking into buying a Hasselblad CFV for my 501cm outfit, because i can't justify getting rid of it to

buy a 35dslr... what would nail this option is if i could be sure it would work with my homemade hassy

pinhole... i built a pinhole box w/ a 30mm focal length and a f/45 aperture that my a12 back mounts up

to... my question is does anyone know if there is a way to make the cfv function along with this pinhole...

i am thinking that if i could attach a flash sync from the back to another camera that i could use that

camera to activate the back but i dont know the specifics of how the cfv functions... i.e. how does the cfv

know how long to remain active... i dont konw if i am making sense here at all but if anyone has some

more specifics on the cfv and how it works with a flash sync cable i'd love to know...

Travis

this has to be one of the most left-field threads we have had for quite a while :-) But all credit to you for pursuing the fascinating topic of pinhole photography with a Hasselblad A12. The CFV digital back is activated, as far as I know, by the small plate which protrudes from the camera body when the shutter release is fired to set the magazine indicator to red. So that's a problem, to start with. Secondly, I believe the CFV back is limited to a maximum of something like 32 secs exposure, which is small beer in pinhole exposure terms. So that could be a problem too. But hey - buying a 7,500 GBP digital back to do pinhole photography, I love it.

Best wishes

John

so the back is triggered by the small rectangular pin that is actuated by the shutter release?

so if i were to build a shutter release button into my pinhole box would it act similarly to a

bulb shutter setting.. that is as long as that pin is out the back will be activated?

well it would serve mostly as a back for my 501 for more.. lets say profitable use.. but i am a

grad art student so it would double as my primary means for creating art work.... and

realistically what is more ironic than a digital pinhole camera?

"But all credit to you for pursuing the fascinating topic of pinhole photography with a

Hasselblad A12. "

My big fuss with pinhole has been the agrivation of getting the right exposure... so i thought

if i could build something with a known aperture, and use film then i can just use my sekonic

and save the hassel of shooting 20 exposures to get a good one... it doesn't hurt that my

father is quite the talented machinist and helped me engineer and built it out of aluminum...

Hmmmmm

well in that case your father might be able to replicate the rectangular pin and couple it to a shutter button on the pinhole body. Obviously it will have to be exactly the same size, in the same location, and will have to protrude exactly the same amount. But you can get all that data from your 501. The other option would be to buy a cheap old 500C body from KEH or the like, and convert that to pinhole with a front adaptor plate. Or, and simpler still, you could put a pinhole into a standard Hassy front body cap, and use that on your 501. But there must be a good reason why you didn't do that in the first place, I suppose.

Regards

John

John

Travis:

I've been this way before and have done pinhole images with both a v96c and a PhaseOne scanning back. Be aware that you'll often get rainbows and other interference during the captures. Bright highlights can sometimes turn into something that looks like the Northern Lights.

Maybe you should bring your pinhole camera to a dealer and test it.

I tried CFV with Hartblei (Kiev 88). We played more than 1 hour with different settings. It only synched under 1/15 via flash synch. At 1/30, the picture has a lot of pink color.

I did some research, and think maybe the back detects an exact pin (color, size, length etc). Just like you put a coin in a vending machine. Better to be true money, otherwise it is able to figure it out. You just can't cheat it:)

Travis,<br><br>Sorry for the late reply, but you do not need to fabricate a trigger. You can set the CFV back to 'pinhole' mode, and trigger the back using a button on the back, or (when tethered to your computer), from inside the Flexcolor software.<br><br>See the manual you can find <a href="http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWVSys.aspx" target="_blank">here</a> (page 48).