Digital mist/fog

I'm keen to experiment with creating digital mist. I believe there exists software that mimics the process.

I have PS 7.

Can anyone supply me with an action, or link to a plug-in : preferably freeware.

Thanks.

Steve Bingham's example - http://www.photo.net/bboard/uploaded-file?bboard_upload_id=10754984 - is not very convincing because you can still see clouds in the sky next to the building even though the sky is a lot farther away than the building.<P>

And that's the central problem with trying to do fog in Photoshop - PS is a <B>2D</B> tool but what makes fog work is a <B>3D</B> effect - depth cuing. The farther away something is the more fog is between it and you.<P>

The only possible way to do this would be to arbitrarily and laboriously create separate layers with different elements of your photo and intersperse your fog layers between them.

Seven, I first heard about using a white gradient in a Pphoto.net thread recently. I never tried it until I had this shot. The effect is quite natural because it was really a foggy morning; it just didn't come through in the photo. The top image is straight out of the (digital) camera. The lower image is with the gradient. It's 40% white at the top, tapering to 0% at the bottom. Actually, I started above the tree and came down at an angle, perpendicular to the ground, and stopped before the bottom.<div>004r0m-12140984.jpg.3f370914f95017d55f7562744943cc42.jpg</div>

Seven,

If you will go to my web site, http://www.dustylens.com, you will see a short but detailed tutorial on creating fog with depth cuing - in PS 6 or 7. It uses the gradient tool. Very easy to use and very believable. Not sure what Peter Nelson is talking about as I have never really submitted an image using THIS technique. No need to buy anything as it really is an effective and simple technique. It can be modified to include fog "patchyness" or even swirling smoke using the liquify filter.

I've been experimenting merrily. I did go to your site, Steve B., and have been using your tips - I was stuck with the "swirling" effect which you mention is obtained via 'Liquify' : nice to know this filter has a use. Yet to come up with anything as convincing as Scott's example above but will keep at it. Thanks for the link Keith. Cheers all.