Digital Infrared SLR - Canon 5D, Fuji S3 UVIR

david choo

Hi. Was wondering if anyone has experience with an infrared converted Canon 5D or the new Fuji S3 UVIR.

I'm interested in purchasing a camera just for infrared but not sure which I should go with but the camera

can be dedicated to pure IR as I shoot with a MarkII and an H2D so really don't need another regular digital

camera.

I own all Canon gear in small format.. however as the Canon lenses I own all create "Hot Spots" according

to various websites... I'll have to purchase new lenses to go with the infrared camera so I'm open an

Infrared Digital Camera of any kind.

Whereas I've found sites that talk about the Canon 5D or Canon cameras in general... and how they

convert them to infrared while also adjusting the autofocus to work with IR, I've found so very little in

terms of information about the Fuji S3 UVIR.

Matter of factly, I'm getting the impression that the Fuji S3 UVIR requires filtration on the lenses... That

would automatically keep me from purchasing it.. however I am not certain of this.

Any suggestions... information is appreciated. :)

Hi David, Just speaking personally, I sure wouldn't spend the money on a 5D to have someone probably void the warranty by converting it to an IR camera. But if that's not a concern, my hat's off to you! I'm not aware of anyone who converts 5Ds, but maybe there's somebody out there. More commonly you'll see 10D's and 20D's (i.e. a bit older models, already out of warranty) converted to IR by a handful of people/companies who offer it as a service. Good luck!

I'd certainly go with an APS-C DSLR. The conversion will be a lot cheaper, as will the camera.

As far as I know, "hotspoting" isn't confined to Canon lenses. It applies to nikon and 3rd party lenses too.

In your situation I'd probably go with a converted 20D as being the best bang for the buck.

Since the Fuji has no filtering at all, You'd have to use an external filter on the lens to select the wavelengths you want to let though.

With a converted 20D you can get a filter that only allows IR to pass if you wish, so you don't need a filter on the lens(and so you can see what you're shooting through the viewfinder!).