Digital camera for infrared photography

gabre_kemp

Hi Gabre!

I've been looking for the answer to this question myself! You might want to check out the following thread about the Ricoh GR digital:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GvKS&tag=

As far as I know, none of the cameras that are currently commercially available can handle IR "easily"...perhaps even including the above-mentioned Ricoh GR. By "easily" I mean hand-held or on a monopod. I believe that all current cameras contain strong IR blocking filters that make it necessary to use tripods and long exposures.

And even if long tripod exposures are OK with you, the other problem with many modern cameras (especially the "better" ones) is that their multi-element, multicoaded lens surfaces may bounce the IR around, and create a bright spot in the middle of the photo (this was the reason for my tears, as I returned a Panasonic Lumix to the store as "unusable").

Outside of a LOT of web reseach, the best way to see which cameras make this unwanted spot is to take your IR bandpass filter to a store and shoot test images with different models out through the windows!

However, a lot of IR shooters swear by three older, lower-megapixel digital cameras (and you can find lots of great examples of their work on this site and the rest of the web). These cameras are the:

* Olympus C-2020 (2 MP)

* Nikon CoolPix 950 (2 MP)

* Minolta Dimage 7 (5 MP, but it reportedly gets pretty warm and burns through AA rechargeables). The Dimage 7 model only, not the later ones, like the 7i or the A1/A2 (which are wonderful, but don't do IR very well through my dark Tiffen 89 filter).

These older cameras are still all available at popular web auction sites.

And Gabre, please let the rest of us know if you make any great discoveries among the "modern" high-megapixel cameras!

Sincerely,

Dave

As someone who moved from a coolpix 950 to a Sony F828 for infrared, let me tell you, it's a huge jump up. The detail and quality of the Sony images is stellar in comparison. By the way, a lot of current digicams can do infrared, but require tripods due to long exposures. The reason why the Sony's are famous is the Nightshot feature that lets you do handheld IR photography.

Look in the used markets, lots of 717s or 828s for you. The 828 has the nicer body, the 28-200 built in zoom is suprisingly good quality. My 2.5 year old F828 is still working great, 30,000+ shots later.

Hi again, Gabre!

Just remembered a couple additional things. FYI, both the 717 and 828 open their lenses all the way in Nightshot mode. This means that you'll need to stack at least one ND filter onto the IR filter to reduce the incoming glare. Before the 828 hit the market, rumors had it that Sony would relax the 828's Nightshot mode, so that it could be used at any aperture. But that didn't happen. Some current Sony point-and-shoots also have Nightshot mode, but they too don't allow you to set smaller apertures.

Another thing to be aware of is that both the 717 and 828 (I believe) use infrared beams for focus assist, so many IR shooters cover the focus-assist ports above the lens with electrical tape. If you don't, the beams may reflect off the IR and ND filters, back into the lens, and paint bright areas in the images. At least, the 717 that I tested before I knew about this did...painted a bright "V" into the top half of the photos!

Let us know your decision and post some results when you can!

Sincerely,

Dave

The Sony DSC VI also has the night shot feature anbd is usuable for this purpose. It requires an adapter to use filters. I have one and since I don't use much anymore. I have thought about devoting it to IR. If you go to the Sony Forum at DPreview, do a search for IR and you will find alot of discussion on the subject.