Differnce between YN600EX RT II vs Canon 600EX RT II?

mark_stephan2

No clue, I'm too new to the system and never used a Canon flash.

Yongnuo seem to support every feature too? - At least it seems to me as if 3rd parties have always been able to provide full Canon functionality while they struggled with minor features in other systems.

Amazon reviews read as if Yongnuos might sometimes be less reliable but still cheaper, even if you figure in a few early losses?

UI drawbacks: Flash "power on" buttons demand a long press. <- Scary without RTFM. & Remote power on switch would benefit from a bolder design. Shopping Yongnuo on German eBay / Amazon is a nightmare due to Google translatored product descriptions but the rest of the Internet is helpful.

I have the YN600EX RT II. I must say I find it very reliable. However, it tends to draw batteries even when turned off. I usually put a piece of thin plastic laminate under the lid when the flash is not in use. I use rechargeable batteries so I don't mind. I don't have any complaints on the number of flashes per battery.

I've not tested all of the functions yet and there is a lot of them. I use the transmitter and the flash off-camera most of the time. I find some of the functions not as user-friendly as I'd like.

I have the YN600EX RT II. I must say I find it very reliable. However, it tends to draw batteries even when turned off..

That seems strange. I would think when switched off it should draw nothing. I have 5 Neewer manual flashes and when off, they do not drain batteries. Neewer is not Yongnuo, so your findings are good to know. I would not store the flash with batteries in even for a night for fear of draining alkalines and possibly have them leak. I have considered the YN600EX RT II. I have not heard this. Thanks for the intel.

Cheers, Mark

I have a Canon 600 EX-RT and a Canon ST-E3-RT. I also have five YN 600 EX-RT, two YN-E3-RT transmitters, and two YN-E3-RX receivers. All flashes are Mark I, so I can not comment on the Mark II versions, but my understanding is that the differences are quite minor. The two receivers allow me to mount my Canon 580 EX II on them and the combination behaves like a 600 EX-RT. The Yongnuos are functionally and cosmetically equal to the Canons. The quality seems quite good.

The power switch is a twist lever, not a button requiring a long push. I have not experienced any electrical leakage when the power switch is in the off position, and that is with always leaving the batteries in the units.

I can definitely recommend the Yongnuo system, it has worked flawlessly for me. Compared to the somewhat complicated and occasionally balky optical transmission protocol I previously used with my 550 EX units, the radio system is easy and reliable. You can run the whole shebang from your (post 2012) camera menu screen. I am certainly a happy camper!

My units are so far a 685 and a 500something for Canon. - Yongnuo seem to offer a lot of diversity and choices. - I shopped somewhat sloppily following Youtube influencers and am planning to build my collection up slowly, not even sure if I'll stick to ETTL and Canon. (<- No clue if there is something "greater", I'm just still feeling tempted to shoot my old Leicas but haven't build up the bag full of lights and confidence to shoot people with manual flashes.)

As a short note on the side: I am very reluctant to use Alkalines. - Even the clocks on the wall run on seasoned undead NiCds, My photo stuff is on Eneloops, electric torches that shipped without batteries get them too. Rechargeables pay off in the long run and Eneloops seem convenient enough to use. - I hated going through 3+x charger fillings of ordinary quickly self discharging NiMhs before every shot.

• 3 months later...
I have used third party flashes and find I just prefer Canon Flashes if possible. I have several older 420 EX, 580 EX II, 600 EX RT. They all still work and are super reliable. When I shoot a wedding and driving the flash really hard I just feel super confident it will always do the job. I don't think I would feel that way with a Yongnuo?