Differences in ND grads

mike sisk

Often a question is asked about the various brands of graduated neutral density filters. I've used Singh-Ray and Tiffen but not Hitech, which is often mentioned as being much cheaper than the others.

Today I received an order from B&H with some Hitech grads. Not bad for the price. You can buy 3 Hitech ND grads for the price of 1 Singh-Ray or 4 for the price of 1 Tiffen.

In the attached picture the Hitech is on the left, the Singh-Ray in the middle, and the Tiffen on the right. All are 3-stop hard. The Tiffen is glass, the others optical resin. The Singh-Ray has the hardest transistion, closely followed by the Hitech. The Tiffen is much softer and closer to 2-stops. All fit the Cokin P holder.

The Singh-Ray and Hitech look neutral to me. The Tiffen does have a slight warm cast. This photo was taken with a digital camera on a lightbox, so don't judge the colors by what you see here.

I've attached another picture that compares the Hitech 3-stop hard edge and a hitech 3-stop soft edge. Sorry, I don't have any soft-edge Singh-Ray filters. I do have a soft-edge Tiffen that I took a picture of and included in a thread here a month or so ago.

I should also mention the Singh-Ray filters come with a nice "leather-ish" padded case whereas the Hitech comes in a cheap vinyl evelope. The Tiffen comes in a padded ballistic nylon case.

Mike,

Thanks for posting - very interesting.

You wrote: "The Tiffen come in ballistic nylon case."

I have a Tiffen ND grad-XL in this case and have now broken two of these because the case does not offer enough protection. At $115. each this could get expensive!

Has anyone found a good case that will protect these filters?

Thanks,

Cliff

First, thanks to Mike for the comparison of the hard edge filters. Seeing is understanding.<P>

As for the cases, Pelican makes some small cases that would be just the thing for 4x6 grads, about $15-$20. Just plug "pelican" into the search box at the top of B&H's page.

PopPhotography has an article about storing filters i.e. grad ND filters. He uses CD Wallet from Walmart where the partitions are made from cloth. I bought it from Automobile section in WalMart for 5 bucks. I think this is a great idea for various filters that have different sizes like yours.

FNU Brawijaya

Another important consideration to take into account is the length of the filters. I currently use a Sing-Ray filter, which, judging by Mike's excellent photos, is longer than either the Hi-Tech or Tiffen. My concern is that, in situations where I'm blocking only the top 25% or so of the image, the bottom of the filter will come into view in the lower portion of the image. A friend of mine was experiencing exactly that problem a few days ago as we shot side by side, although I think he was using a Cokin, which is shorter than those shown above.