Differences between the Mamiya 7 and 7 II

bryan_natinsky

I am looking to buy a used Mamiya 7 or 7 II and I was wondering what

the differences between the older and newer models are. The Mamiya 7

sells for quite a bit less and I am on a budget. Is it a matter of a

few more features or are there real differences in the construction,

etc.? Thanks for you input.

Mamiya:

"The Mamiya 7 II offers double exposure capability and choice of black or champagne finish with a restyling over the original Mamiya 7 model. It uses all Mamiya 7 lenses including the latest 50mm f/4.5 superwide lens with optical finder and 210mm f/8 with optical finder."

Ken Rockwell:

"VERSION I vs. VERSION II

There are three versions of this camera:

1.) The original one in titanium finish (shown above) that I use.

2.) The current -II version painted to look a nasty chrome ("Champagne")

3.) The current -II version in black.

They are all mostly plastic and just painted the various colors.

There are negligible differences between them. The rangefinder flaws affect all versions from what I've seen.

The "improvements" in the rangefinder in the II version are a change in color, apparently not reliability, stability or accuracy.

The II version adds multiple exposure capability and replaces the simple lens-changing curtain control on the original Mamiya 7 with a more complex fold-out lever.

The II version adds an extra neck strap lug. Mamiya can retrofit this to the original Mamiya 7 if you want.

All in all, they are the same cameras."

IMO, the rangefinder change on the 7II is a real improvement. The improved contrast makes it easier to focus. Also, the M7 (both versions) does have a plastic outer shell but it has a substantial aluminum frame underneath. Rockwell has his opinions, that's all I'll say.

• 2 weeks later...
I have only Mamiya 7's currently, I sold the 7II. Noticed no difference in the two models. Most of these cameras have had very little use. I recently purchased a 7 from my local camera store, that looks and functions as new. It came with the box, etc. I doubt it had seen more than a roll or two of film. The price was nice at $275. I would buy an nice 7 and apply the extra dollars toward an extra lens or two or maybe toward film and a shooting vacation. Good luck, you'll love the Mamiya 7 system.