Differences between Macrophoto coulper and Extension tube

<p>Hello Kevin. There's no such thing as a stupid question.<br>

The macrophoto coupler is simply a ring used to reverse-mount a lens on a body or bellows. It gives no real increase in magnification itself. It has a bayonet mount on one side and a 52,55,or 58mm male thread on the other. Extension tubes came in 6mm-200mm sizes and do increase magnification proportionally. Think of them as a fixed length bellows. There is an item called a "Macrophoto Coupler FL" that you use the same as the other, but it has a helicoil built in to give you 13mm of extension. Sort of like a mini bellows. Canon had a boat-load of macro gadgets which you can read about on various sites and books. I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Oh, I see. Thank you.<br /> I recently won a set of Canon Extension tube M set from auction site. I left my belows away because it is rather inconvenient to use. I don't want to take my tripod for just a few snapping.<br /> I know there is another extension tube known as "variable extension tube" officially. It allows us to change the separation of lens and camera freely. I can't find this one from local market or auction site (might be I have skipped/Ignored?)<br>

Someone told me thatto reverse the lens for marcophotography is much better then that of using extension tube. Is that myrth true?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Someone told me thatto reverse the lens for marcophotography is much better then that of using extension tube. Is that myrth true?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do not believe so. I Own a 58mm macrophoto coulper and a Bellows. Like Ansel said the extention tubes are basically fixed bellows. I have been fiddling with Canon Macro shooting for some time now and I have yet to get the quality or/of enlargement out of the reverse coupler that I get from my bellows. Heck for fits and giggles I even once stuck the reverse coupler onto the bellows and found that I was better off with enlarging filters. Truth is I sort of regret buying the reverse coupler, but that is only due to my limmited useability of it and that might change in the future.</p>

<p>If magnifying the image 2X and dimming the lens two stops are not a problem for you, the Vivitar Macro-Focusing Teleconverter in FD mount is worth considering as a souped-up variable extension tube. This one has a reputation for not degrading the image (as some old 2X teleconverters do) and examples in excellent condition are often available at a very low price.<br>

This will work on any camera or bellows that takes Canon FD or FL mount lenses.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Canon made Macrophoto Couplers with a built in 13mm helicoid for limited focusing adjustment. they were offerred in 58mm, 55mm (two styles) and 52mm, to accomodate the changing filter threads of their 50mm lenses over the years. These are cool and came with "macro hoods" when bought new (again two styles) that looked like rear caps wth the center cut out. I used them in the past. Once you get past a certain magnification reversing the lens is supposed to increase resolution but i've never made any tests. Canon's Macrophoto Adapters were simply reversing rings with no focus adjustment.</p>