Difference Technika III & IV

photodon

Color of the leatherette is one way - black = Technika III, tan = Technika IV, gray = Technika V. Not completely foolproof since people occasionally recover their cameras, also some Vs left the factory with black leatherette, but accurate most of the time. You can also distinguish a III from a later model by the fact that IIIs had only back tilt on the front standard, no forward tilt as all later Technikas have had. You can distinuish a IV from a V by the front rise mechanism, on the IV it was located on the left side (as you face the front of the camera), on the V it's a lever about an inch long located at the lower right hand corner of the front standard.

I am offered a Linhof technika III myself for a nice price, but after reading the links

published in this thread I understand that the Technika III does not have front tilt. Is this

correct?

This is the movement I use most of all. The cameraquest.com website says you can

remedy the problem by swinging it over on its side. This turns the swings into tilts. But I

really dont know if I want to work that way. I think I will wait till I find a newer IV or V

version.

From all of your help I have figured out this is a IV as it is tan, and has rear tilts. This is a nice system with it pigskin case, trick Linholf film holders, cams, and such. On the lid of the case It has eight round filters with thumb tabs on them, and no threads. They seem to be in the 55mm to 58mm range for a diameter. I take it there must be some kind of a trick? Linhof holder to put these into?