differences. I mean if I take 2 same pictures with both lenses on

the camera and % 100 same condition ( subject, light, composition,

distance, at 28 mm or 70 mm ). What about these 2 pictures. Are they

% 100 same ( resolution, contrast etc...)or not. Which lenses must I

purchase. Please help me

Regards,

Umit Alper Tumen

Istanbul-Turkey

They are not 100 percent the same. Neither lens is bad. Neither is perfect. The D-series 28-105 is among the better Nikkor zooms, and for the money it is an outstanding value.

The G-series lens is one in a series of very lightweight, very low cost lenses (I used to have the AF-D 28-80, one of its early predecessors in the bargain line, from about 10 years back).

The 28-105 AF-D is the one you want.

As people say, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking, cheap zooms tend to have problems at the two ends of their zoom range, wide open. For example, serious barrel distortion is typical on the wide end. If you take two images in the middle of the zoom range at f8 or so from the two zooms you mentioned, there may not necessarily be any obvious difference. Moreover, build quality can be an issue.

Which one to get depends on how much you want to spend. Again, usually you get what you pay for.

The 'G' denotes a lack of f-stop ring on the lens.

The 'D' denotes the 'Distance' factor in the lens and flash settings used for exposure.

If you shoot with the sun behind you (holding) the camera, both lenses would likely record the same image on film. Close-up work may be a bit better with the AF 28-105mm Nikkor lens.

Shooting into the sun might also be a challenge for either zoom lens.

One is a "high end" consumer lens, with good build quality, very little distortion throughout the entire zoom range, and is widely recognized as an excellent optical value for the price.

The other is built AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE to cover essentially the same zoom range.

As with most things, you usually get what you pay for.

Michael

<p>As Gerald said, the "G" designation simply indicates that there is no mechanical f-stop ring, so they will not be fully functional with older Nikons such as the F4, N8008, FM series, etc. "D" lenses transmit distance information for use in the newer Nikons' 3D matrix metering and advanced flash algorithms. Also, all G lenses transmit distance information. For that purpose, you may consider all G lenses as being D lenses as well. </p>

<p>Regarding the particular lenses you mentioned, the Nikon Compendium rates the 28-100 lens as <b>quite possibly the worst lens that Nikon has ever made.</b> I have not used the 28-105, but I <i>can</i> confirm that the 28-100 is a wretched piece of crap, so I would avoid it at all costs.</p>