Difference between Leica- & Leitz lenses?

<p>Can someone tell me if there's a difference between a <em>Leica</em> Summicron R-50 f/2 and <em>Leitz </em>Summicron R-50 f/2?<br>

It seems Leitz lenses were produced in the early days, but I was wondering if I buy the lens, if there is a difference in quality. It seems the Leitz-lenses are cheaper to buy 2nd hand than the Leica ones.<br>

Is there a quality difference between Leitz- & Leica lenses? </p>

<p>The company was originally called Ernst Leitz Wetzlar, producing microscopes. When they came up with the idea to make a camera, they called it LEItz CAmera, or LEICA for short. The company still continued under the Leitz name. Somewhere around 1980s (??) the company was divided into two parts, the old Leitz basically still exists and makes microscopes and other products in Wetzlar while the camera division was separated and moved to Solms, a small town nearby. And that company changed its name to Leica Camera. They also make projectors, binoculars and telescopes under the same brand name. So you are right, Leitz lenses are older, Leica lenses newer. Leica has continued to develop the lenses further so a new Leica lens may be different, and better, than a similar old Leitz lens. But I think for 50mm Summicron both lenses are practically the same. The older lens would be cheaper only because it is older, not becasue it is worse. This is just a simple history from my memory, other people are more knowledgeable and have reference materials. I only happen to know this because I have been to the Leica factory and to Wetzlar.</p>

<p>Please also note that Leica have been changing their filter and hood concept quite a bit over the years. In the early days, the lenses often took "Series" filters - some of which even required simultaneous use of the dedicated lens hood, if I remember correctly - while they have now switched to screw-in filters. This might be of importance, if you want to go cheap on filters and hoods. Try Googling a bit :-)<br /><br />Soeren</p>

<p>There was an original Summicron R from 1964 and a replacement design in the 1980`s. Both had the Leitz name. The optics and mechanics of the second design was not changed when the name changed with the sale.</p>

<p>The first ones took Ser VI filters, the second 55 mm. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Somewhere around 1980s (??) the company was divided into two parts, the old Leitz basically still exists and makes microscopes and other products in Wetzlar while the camera division was separated and moved to Solms, a small town nearby. And that company changed its name to Leica Camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, that's close.</p>

<p>In the 80s, the large Swiss optical firm of Wild Heerberg (founded Henrich Wild of Switzerland) bought the failing Ernst Leitz (of Germany). Leitz fans refer to this as a "merger". Wild renamed themselves "Wild Leitz". (say it out loud, and think of it as English, not German. Doesn't it sound cool?)</p>

<p>In the 90s, they split it into six parts and sold each of those parts to a different investor. Three of those parts were named "Leica" something or other. The microscope part was the "crown jewel", and they operate under the name "Leica Microsystems". The two other Leicas are "Leica Geosystems" (surveying equipment) and "Leica Camera". "Leica Microsystems" is the part that ended up with legal ownership of the Leica name and red dot: Leica Microsystems and Leica Camera actually have to license it back. One of the non-Leica portions is still named "Wild Leitz", and does all sorts of optical consulting.</p>

<p>Things have not changed much over the years: Leica Camera is still the smallest, most troubled, and least valuable of the Leica companies. ;)</p>

<p>Leica Geosystems is still owned by Swiss investors, as befitting a company founded by Wild.</p>

<p>That's a very good question. If you look on the Auction Site you'll see that a lot of sellers, myself included, have to resort to listing their lenses as Leica/Leitz because a search under just one of the names will ignore the other name. I think there are particular M cameras that are worth more (or less, I can't remember) depending on whether the red name tag on the front says Leica or Leitz too. So it's a confusing subject, as are most things Leica. I mean Leitz.</p>