Difference between GR-E1 & GR-E2 Grips

john_paloulian

Hello Folks, I've been checking the internet to see the differences between

these Grips GR-E1 and GR-E2. I've seen posts like there are some minor

differences, but nobody is actually saying or noting what are those

differences. Any Help will be appreciated!

By the way, I checked with Canon technical dept, and daah! They didn?t know

what I was talking about. I should have known better.

The reason I'm asking is that I have some of these brand new Grips for over 5

years now, and trying to sell it on ebay, but have to know the difference

before posting it on there.

Thank you very much for contributing this information. I wonder why Canon Parts is selling GR-E1 part #CG1-0502-000 for $57.00 and GR-E2 part #CG1-3760-000 for $30.00 which is almost half the price of the GR-E1. And per Canon and as well as per some users the GR-E2 is the Improved Grip. But I still don't understand and wonder if GR-E2 is more improved why Canon will sell it Half the price of GR-E1?

• 15 years later...

A somewhat late reply to a question that I asked myself recently.

The GR-E2 is functionally and electrically interchangeable with the GR-E1 grip. It differs from the E1 by enclosing the battery behind a door that offers better water protection.

Note that there are two versions of the GR-E1 grip. The first (and oldest) was released with the EOS 1 and is designed so the battery just slides into position. This is the grip that's illustrated in the EOS 1 user manual I have.

GR-E1v1.jpg.54bd8f00b4ca953d2259fe00f70aa1b3.jpg

The second version of the GR-E1 has a grey plastic rotating piece that the battery slides into, which makes removing the battery a bit easier. It's the same mechanism that used on the BP-E1 battery pack. I'm not sure when the second version of the GR-E1 was released, but it's pictured in the EOS 1N user manual, and going by the pictures in the EOS 3 manual it appears to be the grip that it was supplied with. 

GR-E1v2.thumb.png.457e57847f69558b834530e7f3aa83b8.png

The GR-E2 is pictured below, it was introduced with the EOS 1V. Note that a hinged door covers the battery space, and the grey plastic battery locating piece on the top is absent.

GR-E2.jpg.43bb3b1863a19b31d62efcff52972589.jpg

All three of these grips are interchangeable. eBay sellers usually don't differentiate between the E1 and E2 versions, all of these were listed as GR-E1 grips.

Edited by vaughan