Difference between 12585 and 12585H shade?

I have recently, via a very helpful photo.net member, acquired a Summicron

35/2 sn 231610x, which I assume is a V2, and which I assume fits a 12585

shade (correct me if I'm wrong). <p>

KEH have a 12585H shade listed - can anyone tell me the difference between

that and the 12585? And if you know of any other good shade options, please

tell me. TIA.

As far as I know, the 12585 and 12585H hoods are the same. At one time I had two or three of them laying around and the only difference I could see was the orientaion of the slots to the lettering. In effect, on one, "Leitz Wetzlar" would be facing up when the slots were oriented a certain way; and on the other, the product number would be on top. Strictly cosmetic...

If John Collier is reading this perhaps he could shed some light...

Dennis

Ooops, that reads a bit brusque. I meant to say, yes, that's a Leica hood, and although some FED fakes do say Leica, this one has all the official markings (except #) pretty clearly visible + box. Additionally it certainly looks like the hood on my 35, so I am guessing (without the #) that you got the right hood.

IN THEORY...

12585 is the 2-piece that unscrews to insert a series 6 filter. There was a time in the early '70s when Leitz tried to standardize on series filters - the public didn't buy into the idea so Leitz gave up on it. You can also use an E-39 screw-in filter with this hood.

12585H is the same hood but it doesn't unscrew or hold a series filter. With these hoods you must use an E-39 screw-in filter on the lens itself.

Now...having said that, one of my 12585 hoods should unscrew but it won't. I don't want to force it - maybe it's just jammed too tight to unscrew. Or maybe the theory doesn't always stand up.

If you don't care about series filters either hood will work.