Did Unique Photo sell me old/used Profoto B2 battery?

tcqtmm

Hi,

I ordered a new Profoto B2 battery from Unique photo and upon opening the battery noticed the plastic wrapping the battery was ripped open by the charging port.

http://imgur.com/a/oCZlt

I purchased spare B2 batteries about 16 months ago and cannot remember seeing the packaging ripped open like this. I also see some scratches on the battery terminal. The battery has one bar available.

The battery serial number sticker(white sticker on battery with 10-digit number) also starts with 15 which indicates the battery was made in 2015.

Someone also hand wrote a different 7-serial number written on the side of the box that does not match the serial number stamped on the battery.

I am surprised this company is keeping such old stock. Have you recently bought any B2 battery with the serial starting with 15? I know batteries have a limited shelf life and for the price these are going for I want a new battery.

Thoughts?

Is there a second date stamp about 2~3 years after the first?

That would be the "out of warranty" expiration date. Grounds enough right there to return for replacement. It'll probably be just a 2-digit/1 or 2 digit number like "5/17"

• Like 1

Profoto rep stated the first 4 digits do not reflect manufacture and expiration date. however, the dead battery that came with the b2 i bought in 2015 has a 1416 date and the new battery i just bought has a 1518 date.

The battery stamped 1416 died early 2017 or late 2016. I am not sure of the exact date as i had not been using the b2 for several months when i discovered it would not power the b2.

if the new battery stamped 1518 dies next year i will be very upset. i probably recharged the old b2 battery 100-150 times before it died.

Can anyone here look at their serial and verify if the first 4 digits correspond roughly to the year of purchase.

Is there a second date stamp about 2~3 years after the first?

That would be the "out of warranty" expiration date. Grounds enough right there to return for replacement. It'll probably be just a 2-digit/1 or 2 digit number like "5/17"