Did the Swiss ever make a large format lens shutter?

bobpeters

Did the Swiss ever make a large format lens shutter? I'm asking the question, as I know the Swiss made mechanical watches and that a shutter is similar to a mechanical watch in the size requirements for the parts, as they have to fit into a limited space, and that some of the operation of the two devices is similar. It would seem natural for them to make shutters as well.

There's no comparison between the precision of a hand-assembled Swiss watch - even a pocket watch - and the relatively crudely stamped gearing required for a shutter.

A watch that lost or gained two minutes an hour would be far more accurate than most shutter timing mechanisms.

The clunky mechanism of a mechanical shutter makes even an old Sekonda or Timex watch look precision made! Even a Mickey-Mouse kid's watch (remember those?) required greater precision.

• Like 1

There's no comparison between the precision of a hand-assembled Swiss watch - even a pocket watch - and the relatively crudely stamped gearing required for a shutter.

A watch that lost or gained two minutes an hour would be far more accurate than most shutter timing mechanisms.

The clunky mechanism of a mechanical shutter makes even an old Sekonda or Timex watch look precision made! Even a Mickey-Mouse kid's watch (remember those?) required greater precision.

And a much larger market!

Although most of the shutters seem to be from Copal or such, there are some electronic shutters that may be Swiss- made

http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/pdfs/alca_camera_system.pdf

Copal electronic and Horseman electronic were Japanese. Seiko, a watch maker, made mechanical view camera shutters and electronic shutters for small format. Prontor, Compur are German as were their electronic shutters. Rollei and Rodenstock made - Rollei and make electronic shutters, both are German, although Rodenstock and Sinar - Swiss collaborated on the eShutter.

Many of the earlier electronic shutters were actually mechanical shutters that were electronically controlled. Linhof also marketed, for a short time, their behind the lens Presto Shutter. It was also German.

So basically no Swiss made shutters.

NTIM, but

I'm fully aware that Copal is Japanese, which is why I said "Although".

Many of the earlier electronic shutters were actually mechanical shutters that were electronically controlled.

Which, of course, why I gave the link to the ARCA pdf file. But nothing in your response leads automatically to your conclusion....

I take it you don't actually know anything about the ARCA shutters?

I admit I don't but just thought it was a possibility. FCS

I've seen some Compurs with perlage on the slow speed escapement plates, but I'd consider that "window dressing." It's akin to the single jewel sometimes used on pin lever watches.

That reminds me that I need to put a staff in a Waltham 8 day car clock this evening. As such things go, that's a pretty crude piece(although this one was dressed up a bit as a deck watch and actually has 15 jewels rather than the normal 7 of car clocks) but it's quite a nice piece compared to the shutters I've worked on.

I was probably well after mechanical Mickey Mouse Watches, though I do remember that Jethro on Beverly Hillbillies had one that was missing one part.

I wasn't denigrating mechanical shutters BTW. Just pointing out that on a scale from Rolex to Timex, most LF shutters are well past the Timex end. Closer to wind-up toy than precision timepiece.

Leaf-shuttered SLR lenses are a bit more challenging though!

I wasn't denigrating mechanical shutters BTW. Just pointing out that on a scale from Rolex to Timex, most LF shutters are well past the Timex end. Closer to wind-up toy than precision timepiece.

You're not going to get any disagreement from me.

My worst nightmare as a watchmaker is for someone to hand me a dollar watch and ask me to fix it. A lot of the earlier ones(probably before the 1930s or 40s) were at least screwed together so can be taken apart and cleaned. If there's something beyond that, though, I probably can't fix it. Even a cheap jeweled lever Elgin is miles ahead in quality and can actually be repaired(even though the value of doing so might be questionable in many cases).

The shutters I've worked on are a cut below even dollar watches in terms of quality and finishing.

BTW, I'm looking now at a boxed Ingersoll that guarantees to keep time within 1 minute a day for 1 year from the date of purchase. By mechanical watch standards, that's pretty poor. My Rolex gains about 5 seconds between time changes, and I've had Hamilton 992Bs that would do almost as well. Most good American watches in good shape will manage a minute a week or so.

By contrast, I've been know to be ecstatic if I had a shutter run 1 1/3s when it was set to 1s. In a watch, that would amount to 20 minutes an hour!