Did Nikon fix the lubricant leak problem on the 35mm f/2 AF-D (not the DX lens)?

jyoungman

<p>I read that there used to be a problem with oil leaking onto the diaphragm of this lens, leading to the diaphragm sticking. There were a few comments in an earlier thread to the effect that people had heard that design problem was fixed. Is this true? If so, from what serial number?</p>

<p>I ask because I recently bought the 50mm f/1.4 G AF-S lens, and am very happy with it, so I'm considering buying the fast 35mm too.</p>

<p>If you buy your 35 f/2 now new, it should certainly be fine.'<br>

I don't know on which camera you wish to use it, if it's a DX DSLR, I think the 35 f/1.8 is a better lens. If I would buy a 35mm today for myself, it would be the Zeiss ZF 35 f/2. I like my Nikkor, but wide open it's not that great, it really needs stopping down to f/3.2~f/4 to become very (very) sharp.</p>

<p>Yeah, the Zeiss is MF, equivalent to AiS. So it will meter on the D700. From all the photos I've seen taken with this lens, I am convinced it's much sharper than the Nikkor. The build quality is reported to be excellent too. The price, however, is likewise; roughly twice what the Nikon costs.<br>

It's not that the 35 f/2 is a bad lens, I use it a lot (on a D300 though) but usually from f/2.8 on.</p>