Did I buy a dead Seagull?

brian_baird

<p>Just got my first TLR off ebay in the mail today. Its a Seagull and I know they have issues with lasting power, but I couldn't pass it up for 30 bucks. I was excited to get out and shoot a roll, but I think my film advance lever is broken. It turns fine without film in it, but when I put film in and as soon as I close it the lever doesn't move either way. If I open the back up again it turns fine. Am I forgetting something or is it a camera issue?</p>

<p>Upon further investigation I found a little lever that is inside by where you load the film. It seems that the camera back has a hook that engages this little lever, and whenever the lever is engaged it doesn't let me move the advance. What is this lever and is it functioning correctly?</p>

<p>Well the hits keep on coming. I figured out that if I keep the shutter halfway pressed while I advance it works. But, now the frame counter seems to not be working at all. I see it slightly moving while I advance, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I have a feeling I bought a beater.</p>

<p>Brian, I hate to tell you this, but what you bought was a $30 paper-weight. Typical Seagull quality. Sad, because that is a nice bright ground-glass screen and I actually like that 3-element lens and vignetting. But the Seagull's Achilles's heel is its winding mechanism. I think they use cheap stamped pot-metal gears and sprockets. Total lack of any and all quality control by the manufacturers. If it fits in the box it gets shipped out. Please consider my very serious recomendation-- go the KEH and buy a good old used Rolleiflex or 'Cord for the price of a new Seagull. Even if twice your age, a Rollei will function flawlessly for decades. A typical Seagull might last five or six rolls before giving problems.</p>

<p>Seagulls are the Nigerian Scam of cameras. "There's a sucker born every minute."</p>

<p>Sorry about your Seagull problems. I had a Seagull with triplet lens a few years ago and never brought myself to like it. It was cheap, but a poor value. A few months ago I bought a 1953 Rolleiflex and there is a world of difference. The more I use the Rolleiflex the more I like it, the opposite experience from the Seagull. Don't be discouraged with TLR's yet. </p>

<p>I notice that B&H has the Seagull in their catalog. If a person was to buy a new one from them they would at least have a bit of warranty. I think chances are your seagull would be dead in a short while anyway if you used it.</p>

<p>Well, in case you guys are wondering, I went to the darkroom today and was waiting for some prints to dry so I figured I would try to develop the roll that I tried shooting and it seems to work fine. I just need to keep the shutter halfway down to advance, and need to keep count of which frame I'm on. It's a little bit of a pain, but at least the cameras not just a paperweight now haha. Thanks for the help everyone!</p>

<p>If you want a $30 TLR that actually works, take a look at a Ciro-Flex C or E (look for the name "Rapax" on the shutter). These have a decent triplet lens in a decent shutter (1 to 1/400 second), and they are so simple that there is almost nothing in them to give trouble. Frame counting is by a red window in the back, shutter cocking is done with your right thumb on a lever on top of the shutter. Optically they are at least as good as the Seagull (the same lens and shutter went into the Ansco Automatic Reflex, which was the USA's premium TLR) ... surely if you stop down a bit you can get good results with one.</p>

<p>Dan:<br>

I'm with you; I read the title of this thread and the first thing that went through my mind was John Cleese yelling, <em>"Albatross! Albatross!..."</em><br>

Seriously...after playing happily in 35mm for the last seven years, lately I've been wanting to get me a quaint MF. I've noticed Seagulls can be had for relatively cheap, but have been wondering about the inherent quality. I've been watching the used listings in B&H, Adorama, etc for Mamiyas...</p>