Did anyone buy some lenses on KEH with BGN condition?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>2 rules to follow. Rule #1 Don't buy anything from KEH regardless of condition and rule #2 don't forget rule #1. If you break the rules don't tell me that I didn't warn you. <br>

Your welcome<br>

Bill</p>

<p>I wonder, how long does it normally take KEH to respond to emails enquiring about equipment condition?</p>

<p>I'm in the UK, and want to buy a lens from them, but I've been I'm waiting for replies to two emails for 10 days. I guess that the Memorial Day holiday has stretched staff resources to the limit.</p>

I've bought three bargin lenses from them, and all were in fine shape. I'd say that they were very conservative in the rating of those lenses. On the other hand, I once bought an EX that I didn't feel quite warranted that designation - the glass was in good condition, but the focus was very rough. Fortunately they have a no-hassle return policy.

<p>I've bought several high end lenses from KEH in BGN condition and with only 1 exception, their ratings were very conservative and the lenses performed much better than expected. BGN isn't my first choice, but if I can't find a particular lens I want in better condition, I'll consider BGN from KEH.</p>

<p>I bought a bargain lens for a camera. The lens worked fine. My other purchases were excellent condition lenses and they were as stated. They mainly grade on the exterior of the lens. Some wipe marks or interior dust is to be expected. Damage to the rear element avoid. </p>

<p>I've bought a number of BGN lenses from KEH. All were in great shape and the glass was perfect. They had marks on the barrel but nothing to get worried about.</p>

<p><br />They have a easy retun policy so I say give it a go.</p>

<p>Bought a screwmount collapsable Summicron 50 a few years ago from KEH in BGN condition. Front glass had more than a few cleaning marks. So the question do these marks degrade images....of course they lower contrast at the least in an already low contrast lens.<br>

I looked for this lens for a year or so and this was the best I could find...that is why I kept it. I have had for quite a long time an "M" mount collapsable Summicron 50 which is perfect, no marks and excellent coating on front element. I've done comparsion tests with B&W film and the "M" mount version is better wide open, both in resolution and contrast. Both lenses have been overhauled by DAG.</p>

<p>I have purchased several BGN lenses from KEH and was mostly very satisfied. However, I was disappointed with some EX items from KEH since the condition didn't seem much better than BGN and the price was quite a bit higher. In any case, they are good about accepting returns within 14 days of the invoice date.</p>

<p>I've had reasonably good experience buying lenses from KEH. The only time I ever had a problem with KEH was when I bought a used digital camera that showed up with the wrong software CD, but KEH was very good about arranging a return and I ended up feeling that I had been treated fairly. I can't speak to the experiences of others, but personally, I would recommend buying from them.</p>

<p>I've had nothing but excellent results from KEH. My experience is that they are very convervative on their rating system. I really trust their representations on quality. The stuff I've bought including a Leica, lenses, a Medium Format Mamiya has always exceeded expectations. <br>

So Bill, what is your experience with KEH that was so awful? That would be more useful then just a folksy saying.</p>

<p>I do all my ordering from KEH over the phone, and it's a very efficient process. I'd recommend it over email exchanges. You can even call just to ask questions. They will not try to sell you over the phone. They just answer questions and take orders.<br>

Speaking of BGN condition, I buy mostly EX stuff from them, and it always surpises me how clean it is. I've bought BGN stuff, and it's also been very nice. I tried to order a BGN Pentax 67 prism from them once and the woman said she'd recommend against it, as she'd seen the prison and it was at the bottom end of their BGN rating, much closer to UGLY. So I bought the EX prism instead and it super clean.<br>

I've had one experience with a purchase I was not happy with, but the process of returning the camera and getting a refund was flawless. What more can you ask for when purshasing used gear long distance? I live in New Zealand.</p>

<p>I find that KEH tend to respond to emails better once you purchase something. If you're just looking they often will ignore your emails completely!!!! Or at least mine! Doesn't stop me buying things, even all the way here in New Zealand. They haven't put me crook yet, touch wood...</p>

<p>I have bought a considerable amount of Nikon equipment from KEH over the years. Of all the items I bought, only 2 did not come up to my expectations. </p>

<p>The first was a F-36 motor drive with a cordless battery pack attached.<br>

It was bought sight unseen from their "expected arrivals" listing and described as "BGN", which was what I expected, given the age of the item, its price and its possible use history. However, it really should have been described as "cosmetically FUGLY but working". Unfortunately due to work commitments I did not get to open the package until well after their return policy deadline, so I still have it.</p>

<p>The other item was a E2 focusing screen for a FM2N. What arrived in the E2 box was a K2 screen. I advised them by email that it was not what I ordered and was returning it. I asked to be reimbursed the postage from my part of the world, but was told to keep it. KEH recredited its cost to my credit card. I believe that KEH were deceived when they purchased that item originally and genuinely offered it for sale for what they believed it to be.</p>

<p>I thank them for their integrity in the way they dealt with this situation.<br>

I will continue to purchase from them; just waiting for my currency to improve against the US dollar.</p>

<p>My experiences with KEH are similar to above - their rating system is usually conservative. A BGN lens may look a little rough but should be fine optically. The only lens I ever bought from them listed as BGN was optically fine, it just had a slightly loose focusing ring. And their return policy is no hassle, as stated. </p>

<p>Like others have said, KEH tends to be conservative with their ratings. I've bought a number of BGN lenses from them and each has been optically clean, as promised. Even cosmetically you may be surprised at how clean the lens looks; when I bought a BGN grade Nikon F100 body, it was pristine except for a small paint chip missing by the tripod mount. Of course I've also bought some BGN lenses that have plenty of superficial barrel scratches and/or brassing.</p>

<p>If you're uncertain about a particular lens, I'd give them a call on the phone (they are a lot more responsive over the phone than they are over email). Depending on volume, the sales person may be able to actually handle the lens in question, and tell you what in particular is wrong with it.</p>

<p>And if you get the lens and determine its not for you, KEH is good with returns. Just be aware that you will have to pay return shipping (but as long as its within the first 14 days after invoice, there is no restocking fee).</p>

<p>hi jiajun, i have only bought bgn lenses from keh, at the beginning i was a bit skeptical about buying bgn grade glass but i thought i would take the chance afterall they do have a good return policy, when i got the lens i was amazed how the lens looked and operated, just a few scratches on the barrel, ive bought probably 6 or 7 lenses from them over the past 3 years and have never regretted buying bgn grade. good luck. </p>

<p>I have purchased 20+ items from KEH and have always been satisfied. As others have noted the BGN ratings are very conservative. I've bought BGN items that looked like they just came out of the box. I had one return with no hassle. I once informed them that an item as mis-identified in their online store and they corrected it immediately. KEH is first class.</p>