developers on airplane

raczoliver

I currently live in Beijing, where the only popular developer I can

get is D-76. I'm going home to Hungary this Summer for a couple of

weeks, and thought of bringing some rodinal and paterson accutol with

me. Does anyone have experience in taking developers with them on

plane? Is it allowed?

I don't have personal experience.

The US government web sites detailing forbidden and allowed items make no specific mention of photographic chemistry, but poisonous or caustic items are not allowed. Some photo chemistry is poisonous. You would be better off with dry stuff packed in the check-in luggage than wet stuff in your hand baggage.

Can you not get stuff delivered into China?

Oliver,

I have taken developers in my checked baggage, no problem. But with all the chemistry stores in China, You can find all the chemicals you need to mix up a very wide variety of developers!

Hi Oliver,

I just dropped in at Wande photostore in Cuifu Jiadao off Wangfujing this week and they'd

sold out of D-76 and said it wuld be at least another month before they had some more.

They only had Microdol-X. The store next door - XSH - only has Tmax RS and Xtol - had

to settle for Xtol this week!

Carrying the stuff on a plane shouldn't be a big issue as it a rather harmless concoction.

Are you taking any orders for carrying additional back... :))

regads

Craig / Beijing

Hi all,

I'm an airline pilot.

The chemicals involved with photographic development and printing are listed as dangerous goods by the International Air Transport Agency (IATA). The fact that some people check these chemicals in with the rest of their bags does not make it legal, this is omitted declaration.

The specific airline that you use should be contacted before travel to clear items with them. Some cariers may carry just about anything as long as it is packed in acordance with United Nations laid down procedures - others will not take ANY dangerous goods.

Remember, you may think that your container of chemicals aren't dangerous, but if it comes into contact with other chemicals, animals or airplane parts and/or systems the outcome may be catastrophic.

Regards.

I just left Beijing a couple of weeks ago, and found their security to be quite reasonable. However, they have one practice which is may be quite problematic for you.

When you get your carry on luggage x-rayed, they specifically look for bottle/containers of any kind, and open them all and take a smell. I presume they are looking for flammable liquids of some kind. In the case of darkroom chemicals, I don't know if they would let them on or not. They don't smell like hydrocarbons which are commonly found, but they sure aren't run of the mill things like water, juice, and sodapop. They would most likely err on the side of caution and stop them from being carried onto the plane. Better put your stuff into checked baggage.

The strange thing, is they will stop you from carrying alchohol through the x-ray check point, but you can purchase duty free liquor in the shops immediately afterward...

Colin

Powdered chemicals seem like a good answer. Plenty of good ones in powder and you can ziplock baggy them for protection. I would keep them sealed (obviously) and pack the original receipt in with them in your checked luggage. I brought Diafine along last time, which comes in tins, and my bags were unpacked and repacked by the Feds. They took my peanut butter but left the chemicals. Must have been lunch time at Homeland Security.

A lot of plane crashes caused by photographic chemicals in the hold then? Most by technical malfunction/flaw or pilot error I think. We love fear too much in this world right now perhaps....

• 1 month later...

Regarding the opening of containers by Chinese customs, they have been known to

take more stringent precautions to prevent the spread of SARS. They may ask you to

consume or dispense with almost any liquid.

Don't think they would expect you to drink D-76 though.