Depersonalization Imagery at Weddings and Events

timberwolf1

Do you create images that de-personalize the subject? What approaches do you use?

<p>

An example of a de-personalized image may be photographing someone as a marginal

sillouette, or obscuring their face, or turning their back to the camera, etc.

It's funny you ask this because I've been working on growing the guts to post my favorite image from my first wedding, and one of my issues with it is that it could be ANY bride and groom, you can't tell from the picture. And yet I think the client is going to LOVE it.

I think if all of the pictures were like this, then it would be VERY disappointing to the couple. But on the converse, I think an image or two like this makes the bride feel like her day was timeless - yes it could be any bride and groom and it's romantic and quintessential-weddingy, but SHE knows that that's her, and that's her husband, and look how pretty they are.

I particularly like the image I am going to share because it captures the environment of their day, and I think they way they "posed" (I simply asked them to turn and look at the mountain) shows tenderness and closeness.

This particular bride had brought a folder of images she liked with her to our pre-wedding meeting, and many of them were of the bride and groom's backs, but I think even if she hadn't done that on a roll of 36 with this scenery I would have gone ahead and "risked" a couple shots like this!<div>008J5G-18062784.jpg.53f61332847af9c80e78c5d77ad66af2.jpg</div>

timber,

a lot of my images (tho' i've only done 2 weddings) have imagery you might call

impersonal. but i think all the images i take are very personal, especially to the couple

anyway. i think it's an angle that shouldn't be ignored, as it can capture special moments

that would otherwise be missed. although i've only done two and i don't plan on doing

any more, i found that the the day passes very quickly for the bride and groom for a

multitude of reasons like nerves etc, and they have would have trouble remembering a lot

of the moments if they weren't captured. in the documentary style shoots i did, some of

these to me are more important than close up face shots. i'll post some examples...

Steve -- In the "about" section for this forum - which I'm sure you have not seen -- it does state: <em>Please limit image uploads or inline image display to a single image. Do not post a series of images. If you want feedback on your work in general, post a URL where people can see examples of it. Don't post the images in the forum.</em> <p> So - could you be kind enought to e-mail me which of the above images you'd like me to keep on this page... the others - I'll have to delete.. You can find my e-mail through my portfolio.

Thanks for the feedback James! I kinda like the lines of the dock and the position of the couple in the frame (not too close to the bottom) the way it is, but I can see your point - actually that's why I prefer it in B&W, in color the dock and the ittybit of brick in the lower left corner become more of an issue. The thing that is really bothering me now is her hair blending into the lower darker line of trees...

But that's not what this particular thread is about anyhow, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback!