grant_mcgann

I am an oral surgeon who recently bought the Canon Rebel XT with the standard

lense, and am considering upgrading to a macro lense and ring light for both

my intraoral uses and surgical pictures. I am a poor resident on a tight

budget and have been considering the canon ef 100mm f2.8 macro vs. the tamron

90mm f2.8 and also the new sigma 70mm macro lenses. I am also looking to buy a

ringlight and am debating between the canon and sigma. I am a beginner and

just using the pictures for my own presentations not professional use. Does

anyone have some advice onwhich system to buy.

Macro Photography is tricky and requires a new set of skills - just owning a macro lens and a ring light will not do it for you - I think, unless you are willing to invest a lot of time to learn. I would suggest instead an advanced P&S camera - like a Fuji or one of the Canon Powershots with Macro mode. It is much easier to get a decent Macro shot our of these than it is using a DSLR with a Macro lens. I use both for Macro shots. When I am really serious and need the 1:1 ratio, I will use my Canon 5D with the 100mm Macro, extension tubes and the ring light. But when I am just out strolling around and something catches my eye, I will use my Powershot G7 as my Macro tool. It works great and the pictures are cristal clear amd it is sooooo easy.

Signed off too quickly.

Look into the Yashica Dental Eye III, for example. It has the built in flash (three units in a ring about the lens.) Surf for the rest.

Making up the same on your own will be more difficult and in the end it may not be more economical.

(I did a lot of this work and other surgical photography long ago, and there have always been specialized, easy to use dental cameras. Go for it and be happy.)

• 1 month later...