Dell U2711 monitor experiences

<p>Some quick words on this IPS monitor ($1099, ~$1200 shipped, tax, EPA):</p>

<p>At 27" it's big; nice and big. The resolution is 2560x1440 so it still has a fine pixel pitch. Inputs include 2 Dual Link DVI, VGA, DisplayPort (HDCP), HDMI (HDCP) and component+composite video, and cables for them all. It can split screen with 2 inputs, but no real PinP.</p>

<p>It's "96% Adobe RGB" and comes "pre-calibrated", but I had to do some RGB tweaking to get it in line with Spyder3Pro.</p>

<p>The image is beautiful. Colors are rich and distinct. It displays very fine detail even in shadows. I have the brightness at 14%, but around 20% = 120 cd/m^2. 50% is the default and it's bright and gorgeous but too bight for extended viewing for something this size. Files definitely matched ProPhoto RGB prints better than my old NEC 20WMGX2 (IPS).</p>

<p>Editing photos on it is so nice because of how easy it is to do fine edits at 100% when blown up this large (it's bigger than a 13x19 print at ~13"x23.25").</p>

<p>It's for those of us who'd like a 30" $3000 pro monitor, but still want to get a great display with somewhat shallower pockets.</p>

<p>Just thought I'd share the experience.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922/1">Anand's detailed review</a></p>

<p>Yep, had mine for the best part of three months now and love it to bits, Calibrated via i1Display2 using the custom profile and access to the colour 'guns'. Find a luminance of 140 cd/m2 works for me.<br>

Have problems using the display port connection, in as much when the system sleeps for some unknown reason the screen doesn't come too.<br>

Trawling around the internet there appears to be an 'issue' with the Dell/Windows 7 interface? Anybody else have a similar experience?<br>

Will be buying a second screen soonish, TFTcentral have completed a good write-up/review on the U2711.</p>

<p>I have heard some people over at PC Perspective say they had issues with their DisplayPort connections, but didn't exactly specify. It's too bad since it has the potential to finally unify the connection standard, and it can pass tons of data, but I'm using dual-link since I don't have a mini DisplayPort adapter. DVI works fine.</p>