said that I have a small business out of my home. Anyway, the rep seemed to

take the information that the delivery was supposed to be at my home and all

seemed well. She took my name because apparently it wasn't listed on the box,

just Pro Distributors, I presume. As I think about this, is it possible that

Fed-Ex would contact Dell and tell them that I'm not actually a functioning

small business, and Dell would void my order? Do I have a problem you think, or

am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks so much.

Worrying about nothing. Many, many businesses run under similar circumstances, and the last thing that FedEx needs to spend their time on is making waves in that way. Their margins on what they charge for that shipment are razor thin, and when they have to make a second stop for a delivery, that pretty much kills their profit on the delivery. The only thing that would cause them to get hold of the shipper would be some sense that there is actual fraud going on (meaning, someone trying to receive fraudulantly purchased goods). Your credit card went through, and Dell will already have compared the ship-to address to the one on file with the bank that issued your card - otherwise they would have to be in touch with you before even making the shipment. Relax! Enjoy the new machine (tomorrow!), and that slightly older operating system. I just fired up a brand new machine myself, and opted for XP as well. Good luck!

Thanks Matt! I really appreciate your response!

The Fed-Ex customer rep said that they couldn't promise delivery today, so I just assumed tomorrow (as you said). And yes, my ATM card has been charged, and the computer is paid for.

Just want to mention, I had to pay sales tax on my computer purchase; I live in Massachusetts. I thought that Dell was based in Texas. I'm not bothered about it since Dell didn't charge me a shipping fee, but I find it curious.

Thanks again!

Companies essentially have to charge sales tax in any state in which they have a business presence ("nexus," in the parlance). Dell is a huge vendor with service and professional sales operations in every state... and if they've got a single employee doing product delivery or professional services, etc., in MA, then they're on the hook to remit MA sales tax (or get in some big trouble). So, of course, you're on the hook, too. Some smaller vendors, which do NOT have a physical presence in other states, do indeed not charge other states' sales taxes when they ship to those states. With an operation like Dell, that horse left the barn years ago!

Thanks again Matt! I'm pretty sure Dell has a MA presence. It does, however, seem to take away some of the advantage of ordering online, but as you said, "the horse left the barn years ago."

Funny that there's a $99.00 premium to have XP installed instead of Vista. Usually you pay a premium for the "latest and greatest."

Anyway, enjoy your new machine too! I'm pretty psyched about finally making the jump to CS3 from Elements.

Best Regards,

Jeff

I went on holiday for a week and while i was gone the courier delivered a huge stack of new

computer gear to my office. Everyone just thought i had been ordering up large till the end of

the week when the courier returned to pick them back up as they had bought them to me

here at Tiger Tiger instead of a different company. So who knows, your Dell might be in an

office like mine somewhere;)