Dell 2408WFP or 2209wa

<p>I'm trying to research and decide on a new monitor. I'm looking in the less than $500 range. Both the Dell 2408wfp and 2209wa come pretty recommended. However my research shows that I really should lean toward getting an IPS panel. I have read about the different panel types and now understand IPS vs VA vs TN (sort of anyway). </p>

<p>I was leaning toward the 2209wa since it is an IPS panel type, but have recently learned that it may not be available in the near future or even at its original price point (about $230) or maybe not even at all. So now I'm on the fence again.</p>

<p>The 2408wfp comes highly recommended but I'm hesitating on it since it is not an IPS panel, it is a VA. Am I making too much of the IPS panel issue?</p>

<p>Bottom line...if both monitors were the same price and both were available which would you choose? Which do you believe is the better monitor?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>you dont have much of a choice. the 2209WA is a maybe at best. I think it's odd that Dell simply vaporized it instead of saying it's got a 4+ week lead time. Patrick L. (a professional retoucher who hangs out here) gives high marks to the 2408WFP in that price range.</p>

<p>but the thing is that the monitors are NOT the same price by a significant margin (oh, about $200 or so and the normal price of the 2209 is $280 ($50 sale)).</p>

<p>What a dilemma - I too am looking at the 2209wa Debbie (after Howard's reccomendation - it looks like an excellent monitor for the price) but luckily it seems to still be available here in Aus. I hope you manage to get hold of one!</p>

<p>Thanks Howard - yes the prices are quite different but I would be happy to pay $150 for the better monitor here, of course I would be VERY happy to pay $150 less for the better monitor.<br>

<br>

Would be a great excuse for a vacation to Aus but would make for a terribly expensive monitor:)  Lucky you!</p>

<p>Many friend of mine who cant afford a NEC highend monitor have turn to the Dell UltraSharp 2408 and the quality is stunning, for that price range. I personnaly want a good image in front of me, a easily calibrated monitor (with a hardware device) and i dont personnaly really care about the technical aspect of them..If what i see on screen once calibrated match what i get printed professionaly..well its all i need.</p>

<p>You wont be disapointed by the Dell 2408, but if its make your life miserable and put aside more important aspect of your life..well, think about it and get what you can afford. Many 200$ monitor do the job just right for many, if not all amateur..</p>

<p>Thanks Patrick - so are you saying you think the 2408 is a better monitor than the 2209 even though the 2408 is not IPS? I can afford either so price isn't an issue...I'm looking to select the best of the two. Thanks so much for all your input...it has been very helpful in my research.</p>

<p>Oh yes, I almost forgot...regarding "easily calibrated" - I have read other posts that people have a difficult time calibrating the Ultrasharp 2408wfp. If anyone has any feedback on that I would appreciate that as well. (Please note, I'm very novice to calibration...while I've done some reasearch I'm not currently using calibration software but I will start when I purchase this new monitor.)</p>

<p>1_i dont now the 2209, but i have seen many 2408, so my recommendation is base on what i see, not what i have read : ) Maybe its also a good monitor..but if i was to order oen online without seeing it first, i would order what my friend retoucher / photographer have and are happy.</p>

<p>2_As for calibration, is not only a software that you need but a actual device..its something you NEED as soon as you have the monitor plug in your PC. Spider3 pro and Eye1 D2 are both excellent option. Add another 200$-300$ to the monitor invoice.</p>

<p>Oh and as far as how simple the calibration is; im a mac user, not a pc user, and last week i have calibrated a friend Dell on is PC..took around 7min from installation to result..so if a Mac user can install and calibrate a PC with no problem..i think that whe can call that *simple* LOL ; )</p>

<p>Debated between the Dell 2408 and the HP LP2475, both of which get very good reviews. The Dell went on sale last month ($200 CDN off) and I picked one up. Am very pleased with it and had no issues calibrating with an Eye-one Display 2. Definitely requires calibration, though (as would any monitor). Here is a good review site for both:<br>

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm</p>