deleting metadata properties

<p>CS4 & Mac OSX<br>

Does anyone know how to delete metadata properties in Tif files.<br>

I tried to delete them under the advanced tab by highlighting and clicking the trash icon, but I can't seem to Save the deleted version and the next time the file is opened the Camera description tab with all the metadata about exposure, camera model etc are back again<br>

I know that one can select all >copy & open a new blank file>paste, but hoped there'd be a simple and quicker way within the same file</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>There are many, many ways to do this. At the simple end of the spectrum, give XnView a try. It's free, small and fast to load, useful for other tasks, and it has a specific menu choice that says, "Delete All Metadata". Apparently, they have a beta version for Mac OSX (http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview.html) that would probably work without a hitch for something this simple. I use it all the time when I don't want to open up CS5.</p>

<p>Obviously, this can also be done in more full featured programs like Bridge, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Frank:<br>

The simple is that you can only remove the camera information that appears in the XMP. The other values are stored in the Exif (<a href="http://www.photometadata.org/META-101-metadata-types">http://www.photometadata.org/META-101-metadata-types</a>) metadata.<br>

The only way within Photoshop is to create a new document of the same size, colorspace, etc. and then copy or move the image to that "new" document and resave.<br>

There are some scripts within the Adobe User to User forum for Bridge that might automate this, or provide other means of removing metadata. Personally, I don't know why you or others want to do this, but check there if you want other options.<br>

David</p>

<p>Frank, XnView 1.97 for Windows definitely has the ability to delete both IPTC and EXIF metadata from Tifs. I've done it in the past numerous times, and I just double checked by opening a tif with plenty of metadata, deleting both types of metadata, and then saving the result with a new name so that there is no confusion. I then opened the new file in Bridge. Everything was gone except the image itself. </p>

<p>The only difference that I could detect between working on a JPG vs a TIF in XnView was that it's a one-click operation for JPGs, but for TIFs, for some strange reason, they make you delete IPTC data separately from EXIF data, so it's a 2 click operation. </p>

<p>Perhaps the XnView for Macs doesn't work the same as the Windows versions of the program.</p>

<p>Also, I know that XnView can certainly do image operations as a batch process, but I don't see any metadata operations listed under batch processing, so that may be the deal-breaker for your needs. If that's indeed the case, one of the specialty, command line driven tools such as Exiftool (mentioned above) or Image Magik will definitely work, but these have a steeper learning curve than tools with a GUI.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>**ugh**

<p>

Frank, have you tried exiftool, at least, on TIFF files?

<p>

In any case, from <a href="http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/faq.html#Q7">ExifTool FAQ</a> (<u><b>emphasis</b></u> is mine) ...

<p>

<blockquote><p>

"I can't delete all EXIF information from a TIFF file using 'exiftool -exif:all= img.tif'"

<p>

<u><b>This is because of the way a TIFF file is structured. With a JPEG image, this command removes IFD0 (the main Image File Directory) as well as any subdirectories, thus removing all EXIF information. But with the TIFF format, the main image itself is stored in IFD0, so deleting this directory would destroy the image.</b></u> The same is true for any TIFF-based RAW file such as DNG, CR2, NEF, etc. For these types of files, ExifTool just deletes the ExifIFD subdirectory, so any information stored in other directories is preserved.

<p>

Use "exiftool -a -G1 -s img.tif" to see where the information is stored. Any tags remaining in other IFD's must be deleted individually from a TIFF-format file if desired. For convenience, a shortcut tag is provided to simplify the deletion of common metadata tags from IFD0 by adding "-CommonIFD0=" to the command line.

</blockquote>

<p>for me the reason is that when i submit a photo to an agency or other potential client it is not necessary for them to be able to see when or how or with what a photo was made. Whether it was in 2010 or 2011, or on a canon 5d or a point & shoot, or what my aperture/shutter speed were etc</p>

<p>Mac OSX<br>

Photoshop/Bridge CS4<br>

So....it seems that other than the command line tool (ExifTool) there is no simple way for me to get rid of exif metadata in Tif images other than to copy/paste individual images into new blank documents ?<br>

(oh yeah someone suggested buying & using Lightroom for the task ?)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>for me the reason is that when i submit a photo to an agency or other potential client it is not necessary for them to be able to see when or how or with what a photo was made. Whether it was in 2010 or 2011, or on a canon 5d or a point & shoot, or what my aperture/shutter speed were etc</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed. I want a viewer to judge an image by its merit, or lack there of, without being influenced by how/when it is created.</p>